• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never taken a Martial Art before but recently have become very interested in learning Muay Thai.

I'm almost 20 years old, 6'1 and weigh 200lbs. Although I want to lose around 10-15lbs. So I would start training in Muay Thai when I was probably about 190lbs or so. I have long legs and arms. Looking at all this it seems I would be good at Muay Thai.

Some questions I have are regarding where to go. I looked in the Yellow Pages in my city (I live in Santa Clarita, California) and they only have 1 Muay Thai training center here. The link to the training center is below if anyone would like to check it out and give me their feedback?

http://worldmuaythaigym.us/index.html

It says on the site that it is a "Professional Boxing Camp" does this mean it is only for Professional Muay Thai fighters? Or it is open to everyone, even beginners with no experience but trains in a professional manner and atmosphere?

Are there any questions I could ask the instructor to find out if it is going to be worth my time and money that I would put into it? Do you suggest I look for some more Muay Thai schools so I have more of a selection? Rather than just one?

My goal as of right now would be to fight in the UFC/NHB type matches so I am very serious about finding a serious instructor with a serious but fun teaching environment that I can stay with for years until I achieve my goal.

And could any suggest somethings I could do to get into shape before I actually do join a Muay Thai training center? I already know I should do a lot of cardio...I'm trying to eat right as well but I'm kind of lost on what I should and should not eat. Thanks for any input.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The school your looking at will probably be very effective and is probably like most schools in that they teach from the ground up. You also might look into some schools that teach groud fighting or mixed martial arts. If you want to compete at a high level such as the UFC it is neccessary that you are not just a stand up fighter. And about your training, you might not want to drop weight at your size, 200 pounds is a good weight if you make it where you are mostly muscle. So train hard with weights along with cardio and eat as much protein as you can get your hands on.

Many have the will to win, but few have the will to prepare to win.

I'm almost 20 years old, 6'1 and weigh 200lbs. Although I want to lose around 10-15lbs. So I would start training in Muay Thai when I was probably about 190lbs or so. I have long legs and arms. Looking at all this it seems I would be good at Muay Thai.

that is really no indication of how good you can/will be. heck, baxter humby only has one arm, and he competes...

It says on the site that it is a "Professional Boxing Camp" does this mean it is only for Professional Muay Thai fighters? Or it is open to everyone, even beginners with no experience but trains in a professional manner and atmosphere?

it's open to all, I'm sure.

Are there any questions I could ask the instructor to find out if it is going to be worth my time and money that I would put into it? Do you suggest I look for some more Muay Thai schools so I have more of a selection? Rather than just one?

that depends on you. I don't know what you are looking to get out of a school/training, but you do. if you think that one school fits right off the bat, then train there. If you don't think it will, check for other schools.

My goal as of right now would be to fight in the UFC/NHB type matches so I am very serious about finding a serious instructor with a serious but fun teaching environment that I can stay with for years until I achieve my goal.

if they don't also have a grappling program, then they likely only compete in thai matches. you will still have to train grappling eventually in order to step into an mma venue.

And could any suggest somethings I could do to get into shape before I actually do join a Muay Thai training center? I already know I should do a lot of cardio...I'm trying to eat right as well but I'm kind of lost on what I should and should not eat. Thanks for any input.

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION. Seriously, I hear it all the time. The class will get you in the shape that you need to be in - all you need to do is go and train. People who want to "get in shape" before they begin training typically never begin training.

As for eating, there is no specific diet - just eat healthy. What/how much you should be eating though depends on your weight goals.

I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION. Seriously, I hear it all the time. The class will get you in the shape that you need to be in - all you need to do is go and train. People who want to "get in shape" before they begin training typically never begin training.

Why do you HATE WHEN PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION? I don't understand why people think that is a dumb question. Honestly do you think it would be best to walk into a Muay Thai training center being 50lbs overweight and start conditioning then? Or start conditioning on your own and then when you do walk into the Muay Thai place at least you are somewhat conditioned? I'm not 50lbs overweight, not even close. But I'm sure there are some people who are and I'm sure the instructor, along with the rest of the class would appreciate if that person came in somewhat conditioned.

Yea of course it is possible to walk into Muay Thai and start conditioning right then. But I think it is actually better to get into shape BEFORE you start training. So if anything the "what should I do to get in shape before training?" question is a GOOD one not a bad one.

Why do you HATE WHEN PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION? I don't understand why people think that is a dumb question. Honestly do you think it would be best to walk into a Muay Thai training center being 50lbs overweight and start conditioning then? Or start conditioning on your own and then when you do walk into the Muay Thai place at least you are somewhat conditioned? I'm not 50lbs overweight, not even close. But I'm sure there are some people who are and I'm sure the instructor, along with the rest of the class would appreciate if that person came in somewhat conditioned.

let's put it this way - are you gonna wait until you can bench 300 to join a gym? Or, will you wait until you know everything there is to know about a field before you go to college?

No. Why? you join the gym to get stronger - it's not a prerequisite for joining. You go to college to learn - you don't already have to be a genius to go - they are there to teach you. On the same token, we are there to train you and get you in the proper shape. there is no need to be in shape before hand. We have a guy that has lost over 80 lbs in the year that he's been with us. that will come with the training. The person wanting to be pre-conditioned is typically mentally challenged - he thinks he may not be able to keep up, and doesn't want to hinder anything in case he can't.

Edited by SevenStar

Althought I don't hate it when people ask such questions, I do agree with 7*. Go to class today, regardless of your physical condition. Several years ago, I was considering starting TKD, and I never did. I had friends who did it, and they were able to do the splits. So I said, "When I can do the splits, I'll start going to class with you guys." I stretched for all of a week, and I never went to class.

Last year, I started karate. And it's great! I knew that I had to just get out there and start training. The conversation literally went, "We offer two weeks free." "Great, I'll see you tonight," I replied. There was less than a day between when I thought I might want to go and showing up.

The weight started to come off and the body conditioning was getting there because I went to class. I am convinced that the change was so dynamic because of karate. MA inspired me to work out on off nights, stretch daily, practice kata, and get off the couch.

And I still can't do those splits.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein