• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

shotokan gyaku tsuki

louie_shotokan

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It depends on application.

In sparring, we (Shorei Goju Ryu) use it all the time because under our rules, a front punch to the body will not point. A front punch to the head, face, or groin will point. You can still use a front punch to the body, as long as you follow it with something. It's a completely valid technique because most people do not want to get hit, so they will adjust to block the front punch, then the reverse will follow-up and score.

Add this to the list of faults of sparring --- I have seen sparrers who are so good that they recognize that the front punch will not score, so they do not react to it. I'm sorry, but point or no, it still hurts. And I don't like the idea that sparring teaches you something that you don't want to do in a fight.

As a technique, it something you have to learn in the beginning. Every structured karate class is probably learning this technique. A trademark? Not really. That would be no different than calling the Pinan/Heian kata trademarks. All traditional karate students are probably learning those kata. Not all traditional karateka learn bassai-dai.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

not every body can kick and be real good with it but every body can punch and reverse punch with power and accuracy.

I don't train for belt color I train to survive on the street

It all depends on the performer ,I have seen it done by masters and it is devastating ! you can always improve on it ,no matter how many years you have been training , perhaps it is one of the first things karate student start to learn but by no means it is easy to perfect this technique !

never give up !

Probably the most common scoring technique in competition. It's very effective, especially when used in combinations, and someone with a good kazami-tsuki (lead hand punch) can combine the two techniques to make a really nice one-two.

You can really drive a gyaku-tsuki a lot more than you can with a kazami-tsuki, especially if you get a good hip twist into it. The rear foot doesn't have to stay planted (you can come up on the ball of the foot), in order to get the power.