• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hyakuhachi-ho, videos????

Shotokan_Master

hi guys n gals,

i have recently heard of a very rare shotokan kata called hyakuhachi-ho (suparinpei) and am very interested in learning it

any videos wud be gr8ly appreciated

thanks

"You only know your kata after you have done it one thousand times"- Sensi Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It isn't a Shotokan kata. It's just Suparinpei done in "shotokanized" way. It isn't a part of Shotokan curriculum, so I wouldn't call it a "very rare Shotokan kata".

Here is a link to the video, if you absolutely want to see it.

Still, I prefer A. Wakai or M. Higaonna version any day.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

I viewed the video of the kata performance (as listed for download above).

Wasnt impressed with the guys performance at all. (sorry if that hurts anyones feelings).

When performing Kata it is critical to perform it like you are in an actual battle. Block like you are attacking the opponents arms or legs and counter attack with full power.

I have seen Teruo Chinen of Jundokan Gojuryu (lives in Spokane I believe) perform this Kata (in real life) at full speed and full power and its truly spell binding.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I agree with AnonymousOne's view about the performance. My belief is that it was done for educational purposes only, to show a "Shotokan version" of this kata.

I don't actually wonder why it fell away from popularity.

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

I agree with AnonymousOne's view about the performance. My belief is that it was done for educational purposes only, to show a "Shotokan version" of this kata.

I don't actually wonder why it fell away from popularity.

Kata in general has fallen away from popularity, especially in the western world.

Kata seems to have become a sideline method of training. The strange thing is that when it is put back into its central role its a very hard method of training. However its too laborious for most people. They get bored quickly.

Runners have a good mindset. All they do is run and spend hours doing the same few movements over and over. Its a pity we cannot drill that mentality into the minds of students today.

Even my own school is slack when it comes to Kata. Yes the students train in them and are expected to perform them well for gradings and competition, but its not used as a "systematic training programme" and yet if it is, the benefits are profound.

My own self training has centred around Kata for over 20 years. I cannot understand the departure from it, its beyond me.

Its very hard work and very laborious... I guess thats the answer.

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Kata in general has fallen away from popularity, especially in the western world.

Oh? I've actually noticed something completely different. Actually, during last 5-10 years, the popularity of kata has gone up like never before. The single most significant reason for that is the popularity of bunkai training - first via Dillman's bullshit and then via more traditional bunkai training forms. Especially Okinawan karate seems to have gained popularity (which isn't all negative for us students of Okinawan karate).

Kata seems to have become a sideline method of training. The strange thing is that when it is put back into its central role its a very hard method of training. However its too laborious for most people. They get bored quickly.

It certainly needs a different person than kumite competition does need.

Runners have a good mindset. All they do is run and spend hours doing the same few movements over and over. Its a pity we cannot drill that mentality into the minds of students today.

It depends. When style openly tells that they're doing things certain way and always train that way, it seems to attract certain kind of people. We're pretty lucky to have a good bunch of people. :) It might also be that we aren't doing "competition pretty" kata (although we're still aiming to exact and proper execution) but train a lot of bunkai. Old way of training, so to say.

My own self training has centred around Kata for over 20 years. I cannot understand the departure from it, its beyond me.

Everything I do in karate is kata. Kihon is kata taken apart. Pre-arranged sparring (bunkai) is training the basic applications. Sparring is training the free application. That all is kata training for me. Kata is karate - karate is kata. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland