• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is BJJ a good desicion for a martial art???

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to be good at grappling then yes you shoudl do BJJ...

Is there anything better? Escrima is better than BJJ at knife fighting, Muay thai is better than BJJ with kicks, Judo and wrestling have better takedown then BJJ..Depends on what you are looking for?

Are there any styles that are better on the groung? proabably not.

TJS:

Visit at least four different schools and try them out. Get the feel for the art, the instructor, and the students. It usually helps that you mesh well with the art and all of those other factors. Most of it is based on your personality. You might be surprised and enjoy Karate or Judo better than BJJ. Or might go to the BJJ class and ask yourself, "How did I ever live without this stuff?"

Ben

just watch some of the Gracies fight... I would say that BJJ wouldn't be a bad choice at all. If it was available in my area, I would definitely be taking it.

I agree with BDelich...look around most places offer a free class. Take them up on it. Try lots of different arts. BJJ is a good art...some of their policies are bad but on the whole it teaches alot of stuff that you wouldnt learn otherwise.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 3 weeks later...
Going to the ground in a street fight is a bad idea.

so is not learning how to fight on the ground, getting blindsided by a punch then flailing like a fish out of water while you are viciously held down and beaten...

It's unfair to make a sweeping generalization like that. Are there alot of times when it a bad idea to go to the ground? yes. Are there times when you have no choice? yes. Are there times when it's a good idea? yes.

First off its not a generalization of anything. The gracie strategy has always been to take someone down to the ground and grapple with them. And that is a bad idea in a street fight. I don't have a problem with learning defense from the ground...I have a problem with making the ground your first priority.

Long Live the Fighters!