• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Getting used to taking hits...

Last summer I got to train in MMA for a few months. Our striking training was mainly boxing and muay thai. Every time we sparred, a good shot to the head would stun me and once I had to stop sparring after just a couple hits because I was so dizzy and I didn't even realize my nose was bleeding pretty badly.

Is this normal for someone new to that amount of contact (I came to MMA from a light contact sparring background)? Is getting hit hard on the head something you get used to, or will I always have the same reaction?

I've noticed some people can take an enormous amount of punishment and be fine, but others have glass jaws...

Would strengthening my neck and just sparring more (once I get to start boxing again) help? I'd like to try out some amateur boxing, muay thai, or MMA competitions eventually but not being able to take hard hits is going to be a problem.

Thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

yeah just spar more and you will get used to it. every time i get hit, it just gives me more energy to fight back, and it makes me more determined to win. and the more you spar, the better you will get, and the better you get, the less amount of times you get hit :wink:

You do get more used to taking hits after a while, however what I think is more important is that by getting hit, you begin to realize where your openings are and work harder to correct it so you don't get hit as often. (especially if you are being hit hard)

What works works

You don't really want to get used to taking hits to the head. Because you never will. Head hits are more cumulative than conditioning. Learn to slip them more than take them. You and your doctor will have a much easier time of things if you do. The body hits though, absorbing those better will come with time.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

you can conditiion yourself to them to an extent. a stronger neck leads to better absorption, as the neck acts as a shock absorber. Also, you learn to "roll with the punch" which lessens the impact.

Largely, getting hit anywhere is mental. you know it hurts, but once you get used to it, you see that it's not that bad. Once this happens, you will remain calm, even after you have been hit.

Largely, getting hit anywhere is mental. you know it hurts, but once you get used to it, you see that it's not that bad. Once this happens, you will remain calm, even after you have been hit.

The pain wasn't the problem, it was the dizziness.

Does anyone have any advice for strengthening my neck, other than bridging or holding a weight to my head and moving it?

If you want to be able to defend yourself, you need to get used to taking hits. By that, I don't mean that someone has to knock 7 bells out of you every week, but you do need to get to a level where you don't panic, cry etc...

Sparring in class, some students are so intimidated by a punch towards the face (without even hitting them) that I can't see how they could defend themselves.

Many styles now do not allow any hits to the head, which I think is detrimental to their overall ability.

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

Does anyone have any advice for strengthening my neck, other than bridging or holding a weight to my head and moving it?

the dizziness can't be helped. when you take a hard shot to the head, the brain gets knocked against the walls of the skull. this is what causes your head to spin and also what causes KOs.

as for the neck strengthening, you don't have to have weight - lay on your back - keep your head and neck off of the floor. lift your head up and down for 30 reps - do not let your head touch the floor. Then, look left and return to the starting position for 30 reps. then look right for 30. your head shouldn't touch the floor until all 90 reps are done. as you progress, add reps.

Also, if you have a partner, clinch and do neck wrestling drills.

the dizziness can't be helped. when you take a hard shot to the head, the brain gets knocked against the walls of the skull. this is what causes your head to spin and also what causes KOs.

as for the neck strengthening, you don't have to have weight - lay on your back - keep your head and neck off of the floor. lift your head up and down for 30 reps - do not let your head touch the floor. Then, look left and return to the starting position for 30 reps. then look right for 30. your head shouldn't touch the floor until all 90 reps are done. as you progress, add reps.

Also, if you have a partner, clinch and do neck wrestling drills.

Cool stuff. I need to start strengthening my neck. (It's thick but week) On a Silva training highlight video, I saw him doing the same thing but from his stomache. Would it be good to do it both ways?

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)