• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

American Kenpo--what to look for in a class?

gordo

Just wondering. For you guys and gals in American Ed Parker Kenpo, what do the classes consist of? Light contact? Sparring? Got a person near me that teaches EP Kenpo. I like what he's saying, but I don't know if I like the way he teaches...but then again he talks alot about eye gouging and elbows and knees, so I doubt you can do contact with that! Any opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, my class consists of; monday we spar, and it is light contact for begginning belts....we usually go over the basics, (back knucle punch, groin kicks...ect) Then wednesdays we go over techniques, and Fridays we go over self defense( I.e. real life situations, using the techiniques in non "ideal" situations...ect) And saturdays is always a toss up of whatever the instructor wants to do. But this is my class, im not too keen on how other classes are ran.

But i insist that you give it a try regardless, my contention is that its just plain worth it, and trust me* you'll find out why!

-Bran

"He who hesitates; meditates in a horizontal position" - Sr. Grandmaster Ed Parker.

Through the night, a raven's schrill cry,

The wind, caressed by darkness, howls through the sky.

The stars in the heavens look upon the corrupt world below,

And as mankind's laid to rest, their fate they do not know.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, you can't use a lot of the stuff from our techniques in fighting (ie. wrist locks, arm breaks...) but, when you get up to the higher levels, it's okay in our studio to sneak in a palm, elbow, chop, whatever...

Of course, you start out easier than that...nobody likes getting punched really hard in the face.

I think it really depends on where you go...our studio is one of the harder fighting ones.

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker