• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does win chun makes you humpback?

I train win chun and i notice that most of students that train has a little humpback, like their posture aren't correct and their shoulders are little foward.

did u notice this or have any comments about it.

this is really important for me because I want to change my posture but this may cost my kung fu style

Help the world and I will help you

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I could see how this could happen, but I don't think it would *have* to happen. Sifu doesn't have a hump back lol

"...or maybe you are carrying a large vicious dog in your pocket." -Scottnshelly

I wouldn't think so.

None of the students where I train in WC are humpbacked (either when training or no) and neither is Sifu.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I think you may be confusing the "hollowing of chest" with hunch-backedness. Alot of the Chinese styles emphasize the hollowing of chest to lengthen the reach of the bridges, and also allows the settling of the lower "kua". If you notice the dropping/tilting of the pelvis in coordination with the placement of feet and knees, you'll notice they are infact not "hunchbacked". One important thing I noticed, you need to watch how your chin is positioned while in stance. This allows better positioning.

As long you are aware of that fact, I don't think you'll have a problem with having poor posture on a daily basis. Besides, most Wing Chun practitioners do not go around walking in combat position with hollowed chest :)

Hope that helps.

Bruce Lee wasn't.

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

I answered this question a couple of days ago - did u ask it on another forum?
wasnt me

i would like to have a posture like in the army's movies

Help the world and I will help you

The way WC is taught in my shool you are told off if you "hunch" your back. You sink your stance but the posture is kept straight.

that's the way we're taught too (though if I had a penny for every time Sifu has moaned at me about that....I would have a lot of pennies!!)

It makes sense to sink into stance as if you are being "hunch backed" in training surely you're leaning forward/off balance anyway?