• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a Tourney on sunday..... Tips Please!

this is my second tourney. after losing my last one i really want to win this one, but this one is different as the last one was against thai boxers and other kickboxers in a ring, this one will be against what i call propper marial artists (i see kick and thai boxing as more of a sport then a MA) and it will also be on a mat which i am not used to.

The rules are:

*semi contact

*Punches to the head and body

*kicks to head and body

*no kicks to the leg

*no spinning backfist

*sweeps are alowed

*no knees or elbows

I think the rounds are 2x 1.30 and we are wearing boxing gloves shin pads and kickboots.

Do you guys have any tips for me Ive done all my training and i am preparing mentaly but i mean tips as in using my style as an advantage or could you point out the weaknesses in the other styles. i think its going to be karate some sort of kung fu and taekwando (spelling?)

Thank you :karate:

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1. Control the fights so your opponents are always on the back-foot. This means fighting how YOU want, not letting your opponent dictate the fight.

2. The rounds arnt that long, so if you are fit go all out from the beginning.

3. Regarding strengths and weaknesses of your opponents, dont focus on that 2 much. If you are controlling the fight the only thing you will need to consider is YOUR strengths and weaknesses(you should know what they are. Use your strengths and protect your weaknesses.)

stay aggressive, and keep light...remember, you aren't trying to absolutely cream the other guy, this is just for sportsmanship. Also, always stay respectful...I would rather be a gracious loser than a sore winner.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

thanks guys. another thing i forgot to mention is that it could be against a white beklt or a black belt the tourney uis not done by belts but by hight and weight and if its like my last one thehy will justy get us all in the ring and look at us and say "you and...... you pair up and sign in". last time i was lucky beacuse even though i lost it was a really close fight i just hope i don't get some oen miles better then me.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

last time i was lucky beacuse even though i lost it was a really close fight i just hope i don't get some oen miles better then me.

If you are paired up with someone who is alot more skilled than you there is not much you can do. I would suggest that you just stick to your gameplan and try to make it work in the situation.

It is very important not to let them control the fight, if you put them on the back foot early they may be a bit more hesitant in their future attacks.

last time i was lucky beacuse even though i lost it was a really close fight i just hope i don't get some oen miles better then me.

If you are paired up with someone who is alot more skilled than you there is not much you can do. I would suggest that you just stick to your gameplan and try to make it work in the situation.

It is very important not to let them control the fight, if you put them on the back foot early they may be a bit more hesitant in their future attacks.

It might sound weird but i actually like to fight on the back foot and i often do and counter. but i get what your saying about putting them on their back foot and thats my game plan for the fight. :karate:

What kind of tournament is this? Does it have stopped action after points are scored (traditional tournament), or do they keep letting the action go on while scoring points (somewhat like a boxing match)?

Some tips:

If you can get to the arena early, do some footwork drills on the mats, since you are unfamiliar with that surface. This way, you'll get an idea of how a different surface affects you.

90 seconds per round isn't that much time at all, so you can maintain a decent pace of attacks. Since the fights are no more than two 90 second rounds, if you're in reasonably good shape, you shouldn't have to worry about fatigue. Don't, however, go at a frenetic pace.

Don't throw only one technique. Unless you have an unearthly skill at throwing a particular kick or punch, an opponent will quickly wisen up to it, and make adjustments. Try to throw three techniques in a row, to keep him off balance.

In these situations, try not to get too fancy with your technique. Stick with what the techniques that you do best. Try not to fall into playing your opponent's game.

Try to circle your opponent, so that he can't lock onto you. See which side he favors, and circle around him accordingly (clockwise or counterclockwise).

we are getting to the place at 9 30 to make sure we all get a fight, and fights dont start for another 2 hrs, so thats when ill get my practice on the mats. its not points fighting so they wont stop us when someone gets hit. yeah i usually throw a combo of punches rather the singles as thats what we are always taught to do in boxing and kickboxing.

It might sound weird but i actually like to fight on the back foot and i often do and counter. but i get what your saying about putting them on their back foot and thats my game plan for the fight.

Its fine if you are a counter fighter, if that is your gameplan then the important thing is to STCIK WITH IT during the "heat of the battle" so to speak.