• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Shodan

karatekid101

I have a old DVD entittled shotokan karate from beginner to black belt this has all the heian katas and bunkai on it. Quality is not that great tho.

regards makiwaraman

We are necessarily imperfect and therefore always in a state of growth,

We can always learn more and therefore perform better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my two pence worth. Heian Shodan is our second kata we learn and has three main differences from Taikyoku Shodan so it's important that you still maintain the correct form on those differences. i.e. the age uke are all with hips 45 deg, just like the gedan barai, the tettsui uchi is in the correct time with the pre and post movements, and of course that the kata is still strong for the last four shuto uke in kokutsu dachi. Often I see the kata almost drop in intensity after the 2nd kiai because the last four moves are weak.

MM

I just wanted to dispute ajayfieldhouse for a bit here. If your Sensei is asking you to use deep, long stances, then certainly do it. Dont start training differently than your Sensei asks, as thats disrespectful.

You have to realize that these long stances are tought because you have not only more stability and strength, but also because they do a great deal of strengthening to your legs.

In an actual fight, you wont be using those deep stances, trust me, its just impractical. However you'll find its the technique and timing that matter. So do it how your sensei asks, he has a method to his madness, believe me.

• 2 months later...
Here is my two pence worth. Heian Shodan is our second kata we learn and has three main differences from Taikyoku Shodan so it's important that you still maintain the correct form on those differences. i.e. the age uke are all with hips 45 deg, just like the gedan barai, the tettsui uchi is in the correct time with the pre and post movements, and of course that the kata is still strong for the last four shuto uke in kokutsu dachi. Often I see the kata almost drop in intensity after the 2nd kiai because the last four moves are weak.

MM

Are they weak moves? Perhaps your analysis of the kata needs some more work. I suppose there is a difference between a hard rigid strike and a throw, but I necessarily wouldn't call the throw "weak" per se. Then again, I feel if you are focusing solely on just "strike" and "block", then you're missing the point. (I'm using "you" in a general sense)

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Whazz up...

Hey, this is my first post, my real name is Nedim,and I train karate...

In this monday (day after tommorow) I am doing Heian Shodan for yellow belt... :karate:

Great tips... Greetings from Bosnia!

How did that go?

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."