• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Shodan

karatekid101

As a few others have mentioned, stances are very important.

Stances are what my Sensei drills in to our heads all the time. Throughout our classes the main thing that hear out of our Sensei's mouth is "LOWER STANCES!" I have also noticed that the people who do best, at the few tournaments I have seen, pause after each move. As an example, the first move is the turn left left with downward block, freeze! then moving forward with front punch, freeze and so on. You only need to freeze for a short time but long enough to show that each move is separate.

Also, practice, practice, practice and when you think you have done enough, practice more.

The pauses will make more sense as you learn the Bunkai (or even better, multiple opponent Bunkai). You'll get an idea of who is attacking, and how they are attacking, and what you're really doing.

Block - break - hammerfist becomes 1, (pause), 2, 3. Not 1, 2, 3.

But that's okay. When I first learned it, you could set a metronome to my kata. This was the first kata that I learned. I didn't know any better. As I started learning Bunkai, the kata became more "real", more lifelike.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an example, the first move is the turn left left with downward block, freeze! then moving forward with front punch, freeze and so on. You only need to freeze for a short time but long enough to show that each move is separate.

The first "Freeze" is a little misleading because you don't really stop, at least not between the first and second move for example (downblock then punch).

What you really are doing is "tensing" the muscles in the last part of the move, whereas everything leading to that final fraction of a second was "relaxed". It's easier said than done though so I wouldn't concentrate on that as a beginner. The reason a beginner might stop between the block and the punch is more to show control of the stance. A beginner will not execute the block properly ("rush it") if they try to move immediately to the punch.

There is a rythm to Heian Shodan however. Basically the moves between the turns are part of a "set" and there shouldn't be a pause between the two (just the "tensing" mentionned above). There is also a difference in rythm in the 3 uper blocks in a row and the 3 punches "on the way back": mark a slight pause after the first one, but do the 2nd and 3rd one back to back (they're the high energy point and that's where you kiai).

Other tips: (a lot of those are basic tips for all katas)

- move your head before you execute a turn, think of it as looking at your "enemy". So from the starting position, look sharply to the left, then execute your down block followed by the punch. then look back over your right shoulder and turn to block there, etc...

- look straight ahead when executing a technique, do not look down

- do not lift your feet while you step (for example between the first block and the punch that follows it). slide your foot "as if there was only a piece of rice paper between it and the floor"). Also make sure you do a crescent step (the middle of the step bring the right foot at the center next to the left one, so it draws a "crescent" rather than a straight line)

- because Heian Shodan has few techniques, and they are "basic", they must be executed "prefectly". As pointed out earlier it starts by having good stances.

- in karate the power comes from the hips, so good stances means good hip rotation.

- Don't think as kata as "preparing you for self-defense", so yes, you probably want to do lower stances that one would in sparring for example.

Even though it's one of the first katas you learn in Shotokan, it is quite hard to "master" and my Sensei always find things he want black belts to correct with this kata. A lot of them have to do with that "tensing" I talked about above, and a lot is also about perfect balance, nitpicking about where on your foot your weight is so that you are never in a risk of being off balance even for a split second.

BUNKAI!! Always remember bunkai and if you don't understand why the motion is important, ask. The hammerfist sequence threw me for a loop until I asked about the Bunkai. Then my sensei showed me several applications.

I love the saying "Kata without bunkai is dance". Always remember your Bunkai.

Other tips: (a lot of those are basic tips for all katas)

- move your head before you execute a turn, think of it as looking at your "enemy". So from the starting position, look sharply to the left, then execute your down block followed by the punch. then look back over your right shoulder and turn to block there, etc...

Sometimes you may not always want to look as you turn, especially if you are envisioning a throw in your bunkai. Some places always look before a turn, other places do not. I suppose go with what your instructor asks you to do.

Edited by Shorin Ryuu

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

one thing most people forget is that this is the first Kata with open hand moves. All too often people get to the last four techniques and they move like Tai-chi. It's very important to have good power for this passage and also to move sharply.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Heian shodan is a very important kata ,like the base if you like ,the main fundementals of karate are evident in their basic form and with correct practice this kata could help build a strong foundation to one's karate .I once read that a top master said that when he goes to a new venue to teach ,to evaluate the students quality and ability he gets them to do this kata! if you lay off karate for a while ,this kata is a good starting point for your return .

never give up !

karate Kid, you want some help with Heian Shodan? Firstly, don't be too concerned about over long stances. They are uncomfortable and impractical. If you take a look at the J.K.A. and their stances, you will see what I mean. The front knee should be flexed slightly over the front foot. This makes forward/rearward motion much easier. The toes should be turned in slightly while the knee is pushed out. This makes a very strong stance. The back leg should not be extended too long, but should be firm and straight with the back foot pointing as much forward as is possible. Also, the stance should be AT LEAST as wide as your hips. This creates stability. But probably the single most important feature of any stance is posture. it is very easy , while trying to remember everything you should be doing to forget about posture. An easy way to remember is "always keep your nose behind your belt knot" as my instructor was fond of saying, and he was right! But don't fall into the trap of making your stances too short!

You might also want to try grouping your kata movements together. What I mean is if you do the opening two moves without pause, then turn and do the next three again without pause, then turn left into gedan barai as a single move followed by the three stepping pinches in their usual sequence i.e. first one strong and deep, followed by the next two a little lighter but faster and so on. You may find new bunkai becoming apparent too! Remember, karate, especially kata practice, should be like a series of explosions. If you look at Heian Sandan for example, where you have done the three crescent, elbow, backfist combinations there then follows a slow opening of the right hand followed by a rapid step and punch. If, as you open your right hand, (adding power as you do so) you imagine you are winding up a spring really tight, and when you step and punch you suddenly release it, that is the feeling you should be aiming for. Try it like that and you will see what I mean. Finally, don't forget your breathing. generally, inhale on the preparation and exhale on the exertion. Hope this helps. Remember, train hard, fight easy!!

Train hard, Fight Easy!

karate Kid, you want some help with Heian Shodan? Firstly, don't be too concerned about over long stances. They are uncomfortable and impractical. If you take a look at the J.K.A. and their stances, you will see what I mean. !

I have heard this so many times about shotokan stances ,in all my 20 years of shotokan training we never practiced the stances as deep and long as mentioned above but I know there are some schools that do ,there are good quality and poor quality schools in any style but to generalise them all as one and brand them as JKA just shows lack of knowledge or a means to look down on this style of karate by other styles

never give up !