karatekid101

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told that Shodan is a kata in which you are supposed to be 'low'. Try to be low in your stances at all times. On the other hand, I've also been told it is an expansive, "high" kata.

In conclusion, I guess I can't help you at all! :(

"What if your enemy is three inches in front of you, what do you do then? Curl into a ball? Or do you put your fist through him!?"

"It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin!"

-Pei Mei

I agree with solar_kid...you have to be a bit more specific.

Also, is this the one based on Pinan Nidan or Pinan Shodan? Many of the Japanese systems switched the order of the first two...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Also, is this the one based on Pinan Nidan or Pinan Shodan? Many of the Japanese systems switched the order of the first two...

Pinan Nidan. Heian Shodan is Pinan Nidan.

However, basic tip: Execute each and every movement as you would be doing basics. Have good stances - that gives your kata lots of quality. Even if you'd have perfect hand techniques but your chances would be too high or somehow goofy, your overall performance isn't good. Walk the kata through without hand techniques a lot - just concentrate on stance and footwork. Do it this way 10 times, sip some water and do it 10 times more. After 50 repeats without hand techniques (with water breaks), take the techniques to the game.

First, when connecting techniques and movements, take a lot of time between techniques. Make sure that your every stance is still perfect - and still, execute each and every technique with full power, one at the time, taking a lot of time after each. Do the same set of 10 five times, sip some water between the sets. Call it a day after this set - you've walked the kata through 100 times with good stances, you should be rather finished.

Next time, begin from the second step. Do the 50 set (in 10 sets) with good stances and good individual techniques, lots of time between techniques (yes, this takes time). After the 50 set, take the rhythm into game.

When connecting rhythm to stances and movements, do one combination part of the kata with good rhythm, then take a good break before the next. Again, 5 * 10 set. Call it a day. Next time, begin from this step.

Final day of learning, begin from the previous 50 set. After that, make the breaks between combination parts shorter and perform the whole kata with proper rhythm. 10 sets, sip water, 10...you know it. 50 repeats. Call it a day, congratulate yourself.

Next day, perform two 50 sets (in pieces of 10) and add kiai to second set in appropriate places. Now, you should have a pretty decent Heian Shodan. Keep the stances and techniques good! If you need more excercise, add a 50 set more of any of the previous stages in any time.

Here you go. And yes, it needs lots of repeats. That's just a beginning.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

If you follow Jussi Häkkinen's advice you will certainly have an excillent grasp of the kata, but dont stop there. Next work on the applications of the techniques until it all becomes instinct.

If you follow Jussi Häkkinen's advice you will certainly have an excillent grasp of the kata, but dont stop there. Next work on the applications of the techniques until it all becomes instinct.

Very true. My post was mainly meant for early training of the kata.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Very true. My post was mainly meant for early training of the kata

Of course, i just thought i would mention the applications because you wouldnt want to forget them after putting in all the hard work that you mentioned.

As a few others have mentioned, stances are very important.

Stances are what my Sensei drills in to our heads all the time. Throughout our classes the main thing that hear out of our Sensei's mouth is "LOWER STANCES!" I have also noticed that the people who do best, at the few tournaments I have seen, pause after each move. As an example, the first move is the turn left left with downward block, freeze! then moving forward with front punch, freeze and so on. You only need to freeze for a short time but long enough to show that each move is separate.

Also, practice, practice, practice and when you think you have done enough, practice more.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org