• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I have heard that many styles that are circular become more linear the further your study goes. I have also heard that linear styles will become more circular the further you study. It would make sense to me that you need to be exposed to both. Just curious for your thoughts and/or corrections.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To offer just a very brief, simple explanation, I would say that "circular styles becoming more linear" just means your circles are tighter and more efficient. To the untrained eye, it looks more linear.

As far as linear styles becoming more circular, it's probably more that the person is exposed to more advanced circular concepts as they train more. I would wager that their circles may become tighter once again.

Something I've heard from various sources is you can use lines to make circles and circles to make lines, but you should avoid using circles to make circles...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

To offer just a very brief, simple explanation, I would say that "circular styles becoming more linear" just means your circles are tighter and more efficient. To the untrained eye, it looks more linear.

Took the words right outta my mouth... :)

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say."

- Will Durant

All Karate is circular and linear simultaneously

How so?? and let me throw this out there :brow: why do we(kenpo people)

use circular movments, and does anyone know WHY IT IS USED AT ALL :karate:

yours in kenpo

George A Elmer Jr

"club,stick, bat, hell they all hurt"

Circular movements are used by many styles for many reasons. With foot patterns, circular and sweeping transitions between stances provide better balance and awareness of surroundings. When dealing with application of hand techniques, circular movements can be used to move to another 'plane' around an opponent and strike to an unprotected part (such as moving from full-face to your opponent's side and attacking the kidneys or floating ribs). Circular movements can also be used for defense against linear kicks, such as a side kick - stepping back and using a circular block can counter the kick, whereas moving out of the plane of the kick and attacking another plane (similar to the punching example) can provide an effective counter to a very strong technique.

Also, circular techniques are easier to augment and frequently provide openings to joint locks and/or sweeps.

I would stand in line for this

There's always room in life for this

i dont see much use for circular blocks, first of all the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. second in my experience blocks are a waste of energy and time cover up and exorbe the blows.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Linear techniques don't necessarily impress me all that much. "The shortest path.." ..yeah, sure, but what good is the shortest path if when you arrive, you don't have the power and angle to do what you came to do?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia