• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

He came at me really full on and I just kinda froze up. It really shattered my confidence.

you need more sparring - against people who will attack you in the same fashion. while you doing that, remember your movement - work sidestepping. do not back pedal more than two steps - either sidestep and counter or hold your ground and counter.

I've lost 2 fights in a row since then, by judges decision.Basically because I'm not attacking enough. Its not a skill or a lack power etc problem, its a mental thing.Which makes it really hard to overcome.

I just seem to be hesitating and holding back.

that is the key to your losses. especially in amateur matches. judges want to see skill, they want to see dominance. you aren't showing either. so they score the other guy higher. you want to win in such a short round? use your skill - evade, counter attack. do not let him establish any sort of dominace over you. Even if you're not aggressing, you need to show them that you are neutralizing everything that he is throwing at you,and hitting him back.

I've got another amature kick fight comming up in 2 months. I aint gonna give up.

two months is plenty of time. What is your current training regimen?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice SS.

I'm training 4 days a week at present. 2 days at my karate dojo, and 2 at a MuayThai / BJJ gym. Taking one class of each.

A typical day would be:

shadow 3 rounds

technique drills: 6-8 rounds

Thai pads: 4 rounds

heavy bag: 2-3 rounds

sparring: 6-10 rounds

I also try to run about 4k, 2-3 times a week.

No weight training at present but I'm intending on starting soon.

Usually the trainers tell us to keep control of our power during sparring.

We still go pretty hard but its just not as full on as a tourney fight.

I could do some harder sparring with some of the pros who train after MT class, but usually I'm just too exausted.

I'll have a word with my trainer and see if I can organise some sparring sessions with the pro's and just have them put some pressure on me.

You're right, I do have a tendancy to backpedal. Gotta work on moving sideways more, and countering as soon as my opponent attacks, rather than let him pressure forward with combos.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

it sounds like you're definitely on the right track. Let us know how it goes! when you're sparring, make a conscious effort to move - that will be key for you, especially if aggressiveness is an issue. With good countering tactics and movement, you can still take them on points.

Cheers bro, I appreciate you taking the time to share your advice.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I don't do MT, but timidity seems to be a common issue regardless of style.

We have a drill called go-drill. You're paired up with a partner. When the instructor yells "go", that's exactly what you do. No matter where you are, no matter what the position, you go. You throw anywhere between 6-10 consecutive techniques*. Your opponent is doing everything he can to keep you from hitting - cutting angles, blocks, trap, etc, he just won't hit back. But you just keep going until someone tells you to stop. Work for about 4 minutes, then switch sides. Now your opponent gets to go. You can do anything you want, you just can't hit back.

When in a competition, just imagine your instructor out there constantly yelling, "Go, go, go!"

*Depeding on level, of course. White belts start at 2 techniques. Never throw just one. Some blackbelts will chain a dozen techniques together.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Oh yeah, the pushups! Essential to go-drill.

If your instructor says you're at the level to throw at least 6 techniques and you only throw 5, that's 5 pushups. Only throw 4? That's 10 pushups. You get 5 pushups for every 1 technique short of the required number.

Regardless how many you throw, you don't stop until a hit actually lands. Rarely, the first will land. I've seen a few people with really fast feet who can get that first one, but again, very rarely. Usually, it lands on the 3rd or 4th. If you're supposed to launch 6 techniques and you still haven't landed a hit, then you're not done go-drilling.

Then there's the student who gets hit by 4 out of 6 techniques. Wouldn't want to be him. While you're on the receiving end of go-drill, you've got to be nimble, block, trap, etc. Just don't get hit.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
I aint gonna give up. I just gotta dig down deep and find the aggression I need to get over this hurdle.

My method is fairly straight forward. I never go into a fight thinking 'kill, kill, kill. However, I simply refuse to loose. It's just not an option.

I 'visualise' things this way:

"This is already mine. Who is my opponent to want to take it away from me? If he want's my victory, he's going to have to break me. I don't want to hurt him. But, if he tries to take my victory from me - then I will do anything it takes to stop him. Anything."

That's just my way. I wish you luck in finding yours.

-V-

More than 200 pictures of Kyokushin technique.

Kata outlined step by step.

https://www.kyokushinbudokai.org (Homepage)

Diary of a Full Contact Martial Artist (Diary)

• 3 weeks later...

like the first post on here...kill kill kill kill.

Black belt? Yes i have a black belt but that belt only covers 2 inches of my butt. The rest i got to cover on my own.

Royce Gracie - Jiu-jitsu master