• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let's talk about kicks.

a spinning kick thrown as you do what amounts to an aerial.

8)

That would be the butterfly kick I was referring to. Basically a jump spin reverse or out to in crescent. Like you said, not usually too good for sparring. However if they aren't expecting it and you have LOTS of space (a must d/t it initially being slow) it can really set them up or take them out if they are completely caught off by it. :brow:

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TSDforChrist, we call that a twisting kick at my dojang. In Korean it's called betturo chagi.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

Hm, every resource and everything I have been taught calls it a bit (or peet) cha gi. I suppose twisting kick is a good name for it, though, lol. Either way, I love that kick!

In Christ

Phil Stewart

Phil,

Our school was founded by Grand Master Yang K. Moon, one of the first Korean's to tour the world with GM Choi demonstrating TKD to a new world. He is the one who taught is this terminology. A peet chagi is a like a roundhouse kick thrown at a 45 degree angle. It's purpose is to be quick and hit the opponent just under his guard. I like to think of it as a cross between a front kick (ap chagi) and a roundhouse kick (dollyo chagi) which we are taught should follow a horizontal path at point of attack.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

So, then, a betturo cha gi would be....? I think I am confused. Wait, are you saying a peet cha gi is not inverted like this, but rather comes at an angle from the outside?

That's really odd! Im not doubting you in the slightest, just everyone I know in the TSD/SBD world calls this "twisting kick" a peet cha gi. I wonder how we have ended up different groups of people using the same Korean name for different techniques (english mix-ups I understand, but this is weird!). I'm going to have to look into this some more (I wish my Korean was better, because that would simplify this...).

In Christ,

Phil Stewart