• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let's talk about kicks.

does any one find the lift kick to hook kick without touching the ground useful.?????? i plan to use these alot in the future due to personal use.

I use this combo frequently (oops...Laurie don't read this :lol: !) only I refer to it as an uprising kick. It is good for distracting them and getting their guard down.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have your hands on the ground, kicks are the most effective way to hit mid-level targets at range.

puting your hands on the ground is a good way to get the stuffing knocked out of you.

Fist visible Strike invisible

double Round house:

1.Takes up to much time

2.not as strong as the normal RH

Back kick:

Well..this kick isnt so bad,i just dont like it because your eyes get off the opponent for awhile,also if you miss this kick...your clearly open.

Can't agree too much w/ either statement. The double round, while best for points can be used in practicality if done right. I like it because the first kick does a great job of dropping a persons guard, even some of the mid and upper ranks at times.

Back kicks, or as our school calls them spin kicks, when done correctly you should only take your eyes off the target for a fraction of a second, just long enough to get your shoulders and head around to spot your target again before delivering the kick. When done right an opponent often won't even see the kick itself until it is connecting. Plus the power in this kick is phenominal!

One of my personal favorites though is a butterfly kick, at least sparring w/ new people. I found that it covers a lot of ground very fast and people will do one of two things, one stand there d/t surprise resulting in you landing a very powerful blow. or they will back up setting them up for a followup side kick to the ribs. However I would not ever want to try it in a self defense situation though.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

By a "butterfly kick", do you mean something like an oblique front kick (bit cha gi in Korean)? That is one of my absolute favorites - even in a self defense situation. Done properly, and hitting with the ball of the foot rather than the instep, you can create enough power and speed to do exactly what a boxer's hook punch is designed to do (assuming you can kick your opponent in the jaw flexibility-wise) and it rarely gets trapped due to the angle and the surprise factor. If you train for it, it can be a very quick fight-ender with that base of the jaw knockout (for those who don't know what I'm talking about, hitting slightly before the corner of the jaw can cause the bone to tap towards the brain, causing a knockout).

I definitely prefer kicks ( :P ), but that is mostly because of my speed (both in the trap avoidance and power developing sense - remember your velocity is squared! I'd rather hit faster than harder any day) and the fact that I have enough flexibility to strike above my head with force. Any technique that is that powerful, and I can apply to more of my opponents I am in favor of - I can kick you from the shins to the top of the head, so I figure it is harder to guard that much area than the limited area I can reach with hand strikes.

I don't totally abandon hand strikes, of course, it is simply a percentage of about 65/35. This is not necessarily something I would recommend to others, it is simply my preference. I have found that if I am in close enough to hand strike, I have to end it then or I'm done for (I'm 5'8, 130lbs), so I'd rather stand back and kick you, haha.

Three cheers for kicks! :D

Three cheers for kicks!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

The only "butterfly kick" I know is a spinning kick thrown as you do what amounts to an aerial. When combined with the right footwork it can cover a lot of ground but I am not sure about using it to spar as it takes too much time to execute. Looks nice though!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Knee comes up, chambering like a front kick, foot rotates about 15-30 deggrees inward(clockwise) and then snaps out hitting with the ball of the foot, resulting in what is essentially a front kick at an oblique angle (or an upside down roundhouse, but I think it is more related to a front kick). It can be done as a straight technique, like a hard-to-block front kick (because of the angle) or with a little more twist as a semi-circular technique (if kicking with right foot, striking opponent's right cheek).

https://www.soobahkdo.com has H.C. Hwang doing it in their logo, but you can't really tell where it is aimed (and it looks more like a crescent kick if you don't know how he got there). Here's a really massive picture, I don't know how to get it any smaller, sorry.

http://image10.webshots.com/11/3/62/38/132136238ZgxOCu_fs.jpg