• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Exactly how hard is it to fight a Capoiera master?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could ask that question of any style I think.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

If the guy is truly a "Master", then there would be no possibility of us getting into a fight anyway. So, it's a moot question.

But just suppose I did get into a fight with him. I'd stand back, watch him do his "breakdance" routine upside down on the floor (where's my video camera when I need it?), then smack him.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

But just suppose I did get into a fight with him. I'd stand back, watch him do his "breakdance" routine upside down on the floor (where's my video camera when I need it?), then smack him.
:roll: *shrugs* Well, in that case it shouldn't be hard to fight a chinese MA stylist either, just smack them at the beginning while they're doing all their preparatory dances and form changes. :lol: Karate is a bit harder, because you need to bring boards for them to break until they get tired. :D

Seriously. I don't see a question here to respond to?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yeah, i agree about the eligibility of the question.....

to me this goes a little something like;

Q) How hard would it be to fight an actual Capoiera Master??

Uuuummmmmmmmm................

A) About as hard as fighting a master of ANY OTHER STYLE.

I hate to say it, but before you could even reach for that camera, there would be a whopping great jumping cresent kick to deal with first.

Capoiera is a cool art, devised by the brazilian slaves in secrecy, much like karate, for use on thier oppressive masters.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

While fighting any master of a martial art would be very difficult, I believe some people would have more difficulty with some than with others. The style itself is a major factor in someone's fighting ability, so you can't say fighting all masters in any martial art would be the same thing. A master in a martial art might be tougher for someone than another master in another martial art, and vice versa for someone else. By saying it all depends on the individual, although to some extent true, you discredit the differences between styles in martial arts.

I train with a capoeira guy on a regular basis. They are VERY deceptive, and that's the main problem. If the guy is good, it's gonna be hard to hit him, plus it's hard to tell where his next strike is coming from.

"breakdancing" is hardly what they do. I've been smacked around by these guys and have no doubt that they can hold their own against anyone. The blatantly obvious approach is to close in on them. the guys I have experience with though are comfy in close range - capoeira has a LOT of knees, elbows and takedowns, you just never really see it when you are looking at the stuff you see on tv. On top of that, one of the two guys (there are the instructors) in a bjj purple belt - very comfy in the clinch - and the other works with judoka alot, so he's at home in close range as well.

people who underestimate capoeristas are seriously deluding themselves...

I had the opportunity to watch a capoeira demonstration in a mall back in '92 or '93 in Atlanta, GA. After the demonstration I went up to the instructor and introducted myself and talked to him at length for about an hour. During that time he wanted to "spar" a bit with me to show me how they went against a more "traditional" martial arts. He started his dancing movements...back and forth, which I had seen them do extensively during their demonstration, and I can easily see how it would be confusing and deceptive it I had not seen it before. However, his attempt to sweep my leg and kick my head didn't succeed. You need to just keep you cool, fight your fight, not his...move as you would normally do (you sure don't want to stand in the same spot all the time..ever) and above all, don't let them intimidate you.

Yes, their fighting systems is unorthodox to say the least, but they certainly aren't unbeatable...anymore than any other system is.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"