• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've just been reading through the thread by Liam_K about first breaks and a thought struck me (sometimes I even get more than one thought in a day :lol: :D ).

When you break at your school, does the school provide the boards, spacers, blocks etc etc or do you have to provide your own? If the school provides, does the money come out of a separate breaking fund or is it covered in the cost of lessons?

Also, in breaking competitions, does the entry fee cover the cost of the boards or do competitors have to supply them?

Finally, does anyone use re-brekable boards? My Sensei has done a lot of breaking in the past (long and funy story of how he got banned from the town hall because of a demo) and is wanting to introduce it to his students. None of us has ever done any breaking before, so he's toying with the idea of getting some re-breakable boards for us to start out on before we work our way up to wood blocks. However, he's never used re-breakable boards himself, so he's a bit unsure whether to spend the money on them or not.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most schools will supply the boards if they are part of a test,... or used in a demo. But for tournaments, you usually have to buy your own...

As for the rebreakable boards,... they are alright if you get the kind that pushes together with a series of plastic pins that are molded into the structure of the board. The ones that have an "S" joint that slides together top to bottom will become worn out too quickly. You can usually get the pin-type in colorized sets that represent varying thickness of boards. If they have a thin rubber skin applied to the impact side, they are usually easier on the hand or foot of missed breaks, but it is usually just the "S" type that have that.

They can get expensive for a full set.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Hey,

The organisation I train with don't actually allow breaking until you have reached BB (which I don't agree with!) Hence I ended up buying my own boards and breaking with a friend.... So as far as the school paying for boards etc... i don't know!

I have the rebreakable boards with the 'S' type joint, my friend who trains with a different organisation also uses the same boards. I was aware that they would ware out over time but was unsure of how much... even so, I believe they still offer a good alternative to the real thing.

I bought mine online for 18 quid each...

Liam.

JaseP

Ditto

For test and demos the school supplies the boards. However, if you decide to break a brick or cinder block you have to buy your own.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

My school doesn't allow breaking till you test for 1st gup and above. BUT we do have "breaking week" every summer. Green belts and above can break.

As far as the school supplying the boards, I think they do (at least for demos, I think). I have always bought my own anyways, so I don't know if you can buy them there or if everyone just buys them for themselves, like I do. I go to Home Depot and get the 8 feet boards and cut them down at home. Much cheaper that way :D

My first school supplied them for demos and tests. For tournies, you had to buy your own.

I also have re-breakable boards. I do have both kinds. The "S" shaped one did wear out a bit. I have the one with the "pins" and it is harder to break (it has the weight/thinkness of two boards .... but feels like three LOL).

Laurie F

I find it interesting that different schools use breaking in different ways. At our school, I broke a board, oh, maybe 6 weeks into my training! And my boys did, too.

In a way, breaking can seem like unnecessary showmanship, a bit of flash to keep small boys (and everyone) interested. But in a way, it seemed to do more. I mean, I broke a board, made out of wood! It was amazing, and it certainly did make me view my training in a different way.

Plus, to break those boards, you really have to focus and use good technique. You can't fudge it, or the board will NOT break. You may even hurt yourself. To get it to break, you have to do your move just right. And that alone might be worth the price of a piece of pine. (By the way, our dojang provides them, and we usually break once before the test, and of course, at the test.)

I don't know if board breaking is essential to our training, but it has added an extra dimension for me.

I don't know if board breaking is essential to our training, but it has added an extra dimension for me.

Wait `til you get to bricks...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

In my school it is required for testing at 7th gup level and above, but it does not affect if you pass the test or not. My instructor buys all the boards for us if it is a testing or demo, but if it is for a tournament or tourney then we have to supply them.

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist