• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Back Kick

Fish

I'm having problems learning my back kick.

Mainly, as far as I can analyse it, the problem is with keeping my balance at the point when I bend by body forwards, and thrust my kicking leg backwards. I wobble, and sometimes almost fall over. When I step back down, I have trouble stepping automatically back into the correct stance (zenkutsu dachi at the moment).

Any tips?

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well first thing would be not to try kicking too high. That can put you off balance. Some strength training for your legs would always be good of course.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Do the kick reeeeallly sloowly, focusing on your balance and form. Drill it that way awhile. Then do some reps where you slooowly push a chair around, throwing a few books on it for weight.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

On all kicks, make sure that you keep you base leg bent. You will be able to react to wobbles faster. If you lock out, you'll topple.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Try holding onto a chair at first, then when you feel more comfortable take the chair away

"Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others. -Colossians 3:23

Keep on practicing! I'm sure that you will get it in time. Just remember that it is better to be slow when practicing but to have good technique than it is to be quick with bad technique. Work slowly at it and then build up on your speed and power. If you feel the need to hold onto something when you're are practicing then do so. You can always try without holding on at a later date when you feel more confident.

Good luck! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Lift your leg up, turn your face to the direction you are kicking, and turn your body, and try to kick upwards.

Don't attempt to kick really high when you pratice, make sure you stable your balance!!!!! Good luck