• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many out there have had to do a break using a front punch?

One of the 4 breaks I had to do for my 1st Dan test was a front punch through 3 boards -- I was able to make it go once in class, but it didn't go for my test (for the test, I was 2 for 4 in breaking -- good thing my other scores were good enough for me to pass overall).

The break might seem straightforward, but if you miss the break (which I did 3 times) your hand gets pretty messed up.

Fortunately, for future tests I get to specify the break I'll have to do...

Boards don't hit back

Would people PLEASE stop quoting Bruce Lee's characters in movies,... especially when it's totally out of context [bruce DID do breaking, the character was just responding to the other character's "show" ).

:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

How many out there have had to do a break using a front punch?

One of the 4 breaks I had to do for my 1st Dan test was a front punch through 3 boards -- I was able to make it go once in class, but it didn't go for my test (for the test, I was 2 for 4 in breaking -- good thing my other scores were good enough for me to pass overall)....

I've done a 2 board front punch. I also have to do that for my 1st gup test in July. I know I can do it. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to me (not being able to break cause of nerves, that is). I have to do 5 breaks with two boards each (two hand techniques, two feet and one jumping).

:lol: I can see where you might think I did all those at once, but actually not. For any of our black belt grading we have to take 4 test (parts) each 2 months apart from each other. You can see what I'm talking about by viewing my 4th dan test page at http://www.livaudaisnet.com/mafit/test/mafit4dan.htm

Cool site, Kicks :) Are those videos or just pics?

Laurie F

My first break in shotokan was an elbow strike and the next was a reverse punch.

My first taekwondo break was skip side kick, testing for yellow belt. Next will be axe kick, testing for orange, and back kick testing for green, then roundhouse for green/blue stripe. etc....

what goes around, comes around

Hi Liam...!

first break - standing side kick....

Most painful break: over this weekend - fingertip thrust.... think i might need to use some sand buckets before i try that one again. and surprisingly enough it didnt break :D

Most painful break: over this weekend - fingertip thrust.... think i might need to use some sand buckets before i try that one again. and surprisingly enough it didnt break :D

I saw a 4th Dan try one of those once...she missed...it looked quite painful.

Most painful break: over this weekend - fingertip thrust.... think i might need to use some sand buckets before i try that one again.

I had to do that for my final part test for 4th Dan. I have skinney fingers, so this break made me nervous. About a year before the test I started doing finger tip push-ups. I started on the pads (fingerprints) but built up strength to do them on the actual tips.

I also made what I called my "laptop". It is a 2x4 board about 12" long. I wraped some half inch rope around it (nailing the rope down at the ends and the sides). I would place this on my lap and bang on it as I drove back and forth to work. I wanted to toughen my entire hand to prepare it for the impact of the break. I'd do 50 to 100 each of: punches, knifehand, fingertip strikes, bear claw, palm slaps, backhand slaps, and hammer fists. I did both hands. At the test I broke on my first attempt.

To practice the break you can cut some boards in different widths building up to the size you have to break. Start small and work your way up.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes