• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting assignment

UsagiYojimbo

One of my senseis had an interesting assignment for us tonight. She told us to take a day and practice our karate out in nature. She said that practice could consist of kata (I haven't learned any yet), basics, meditation, or whatever we like. Then we have to write and submit a haiku about our experience, and how our karate practice relates to nature. Anyway, I thought it was a cool assignment. For anyone else: has your sensei ever given you a similar assignment?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most of the assignments I was ever given by my old instructor was something involving researching the history of karate. Nothing really outdoorsish.

However, given my unique location, I have the rare and wonderful opportunity to be able to practice kata on a literally deserted beach (up north away from all the tourists), and I have done so many times; "kata on the beach" is part of my regular curriculum. Out in nature there is a sharpening of the mind and an increased sensitivity to whatever it is that you're doing, especially if you're doing kata; and it's certainly the closest to "zazen" I've ever experienced. If there were ever any philosophical or spiritual aspect of karate that I've uncovered, it was usually through an exercise of kata on the beach.

I hope your assignment is just as fruitful.

Do you know who Chosin Chibana is...?

The Chibana Project:

http://chibanaproject.blogspot.com

I just have assighnments to work out more or read a book about such and such.

Through the night, a raven's schrill cry,

The wind, caressed by darkness, howls through the sky.

The stars in the heavens look upon the corrupt world below,

And as mankind's laid to rest, their fate they do not know.

That sounds like a great assignment! Good luck with it - I hoe you have a fulfilling experience.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

We don't get assignments at our club (thank heavens!), but if we did I doubt if our Sensei would give us something like this as he's far from the in love with nature, finding-your-inner-peace kind of guy. He's one of these big manly men who would probably tell us to practice kicks into a board of nails or something for an assignment. :lol:

So yeah...I'm very glad that I get to be assignmentless.

I hope you enjoy it and get something out of it...I'm sure you will! :D

Smile. It makes people wonder what you've been up to.

My instructor also teaches Tai Chi, so it's kind of "spilling" into the TKD that he teaches. He's been talking a bit about meditation, which is cool :) So I won't be suprised if he gives us an assignment like that in the near future.

Where I live, we live in a wooded area. The closest house is 1/4 mile away. The next closest in about 1/2 mile. And we have plenty of space to practice forms outside :) I practiced my bo form out there a few times already. I agree with Skeptic 2004, also. There's nothing like practicing your art out in nature :)

Laurie F

My instructor also teaches Tai Chi, so it's kind of "spilling" into the TKD that he teaches. He's been talking a bit about meditation, which is cool :) So I won't be suprised if he gives us an assignment like that in the near future.

The sensei who gave us the assignment also teaches Tai Chi to some of the advanced students. I'm sure that has something to do with it. I'm looking forward to doing this assignment this weekend. :karate:

No, my sensei is more into the sporting aspect. But I would enjoy such an assignment I think.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Wow, what an idea! That sounds like a good way to increase knowledge and awareness about your art.

I have, in the past, mentioned to Sensei that I would love to concentrate more on the spiritual aspects of karate. 5 seconds of meditation doesn't always cut it for me. However, I don't think any of the stuff I'd like to do is in the curriculum. I'm on my own! :P

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."