• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starting out in Shotokan

nickel

My son, who is 6yrs old, has been doing karate for about a yeay now and is going for his orange belt. His sensei keeps asking when I'm going to join and I've finally decided to start, at the age of 40.

As I am quite self conscious and would hate to look like an idiot, would it be a good idea to try and learn some of the basics and Heian Shodan before attending my first class, or should I just take the plunge ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Take the plunge! Your dedication and willingness to learn are more important than knowing Heian Shodan your first day.

8)

I agree. :) When I started shotokan, I simply joined, no experience or knowledge whatsoever! You'll be taught what you need to know when you get there.

Good luck! :) :up:

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I just started shotokan and I knew nothing when I first walked into that first class. I had only a vague notion of what kata was, and the extent of my karate knowledge was from "Karate Kid." :) I was just looking to try something fun, where I hoped I might work on my flexibility.

In that first class I attended, they were working on kata. When the brown and black belts all did bassai dai (although I didn't actually know which kata it was at the time), I thought, I want to do THAT. That's when I knew I wanted to join up.

Right now I finally know the moves to heian shodan (still trying to get my techniques down) and am having tons of fun.

So I'd say just jump in! And have fun.

Brenda

Take the plung.If everyone in the class are true marial artist they'll not think you look stupid because they will remember they had to start somewhere too.So don't worry what others may think you can't start everything in life having a knowledge of it.Enjoy your training.

Yep. We all had to start somewhere. And, chances are if you try as a beginner to learn some techniques before you start a class, you may learn some things incorrectly, and that makes more difficult. So, just go for it, and let your sensei teach you correctly.

----

Hmm. Hello. This is the floor. How did I get here?

Hello nickel, welcome to Karate Forums! :)

Don't worry about feeling 'silly' or being self-concious - just go for it! As soon as you start training you'll be into it so much that you'll stop worrying about what you look like and will just be concetrating on karate.

There's no need to learn anything before your first class - your Sensei is there to instruct and guide you and he will show you everything you need to learn.

Just relax and have fun. :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Take the Plunge. I find it is much more eventful when you go into the dojo not knowing what the hell you are doing. It is also easier to retain the knowledge better!!

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

well if you have been going to class with you son you prob. know enough to get started.

just jump in everyone started at one time.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."