• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

am i to old to start out in TKD

I am still in the process of starting the internal arts, since the age of 34...

Prior to that it was all external (and to a degree it will always be), for 20 years....

You are never too old to start. Focus on your own training, not others.

The Martial Arts are good to share, and better when practiced with others, but they are esoteric, and geared toward the individual and their own expectations, and effort put forth.

Good luck!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am 15 and i just started TKD am i to old? in my class i am the oldest one there and i feel kinda akward.

As many have already said, (and is also my opinion), you are never too old to start TKD. Age is just another variable in life - don't let it limit you.

I'm 45. I started studying martial arts (TKD) about two and a half years ago, and am slowly-but measurably progressing - currently at blue belt. AND, I am really having fun with TKD - it's almost like having a new toy/gift that you get at christmas, but one that you can enjoy for the rest of your life and that doesn't get old! Sure, at times (most times :) ) the workouts are exhausting and challenging, but then without a challenge, improvement is hard to come by.

At 45, I not be as flexible (yet) as I'd like to be, but I am stronger and lighter than I was 20 to 30 years ago.

jeff

Edited by peruser

I started when I was 9 and after I turned 14 I was the biggest in the kids' class and the smallest in the adult class. It was hard to fit in, which is one of the reasons I quit.

But it was always on my mind. It was something I always felt I'd left undone. Now, after a 20-year break, I just earned my first degree bb. It's amazing to reconnect with my love of the martial arts. I wish I'd never left.

At this point, I'm the only 34 year old in the class and the only mother. But that doesn't keep me from going. I figure I bring something to the school that no one else can. I'm willing to bet that you do, too.

Stay with it. Find your niche. Enjoy the process.

ocdavis

It's one thing to earn a black belt. It's another thing to keep it.

• 3 weeks later...

In my school there was an article posted on the bulitin board about a little old lady who was walking through a plaza at night. She was heading to her car when a young man in his late teens ran up and stole her purse. Neer by a TKD master was locking up his dojang for the evening and saw what happened he confronted the running teenager and the young guy attacked the master. The master simply put a stop to it without hurting the kid too bad and gave the lady back her purse. They called the police and that was that.

She then asked the master if she (at 72 years old) was too old to learn TKD. Years later (at 78 years old) she recieved her 1st dan BB.

Goes to show you, you really are never too old.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."

• 3 months later...

You are never too old to learn something new. That's and old cliche, I know, but it is true.

At 15 here is what you got going for you.

Young enough to still train and improve your strength, flexibility, stamina, etc.

You are mature enough to learn the physical and mental concepts involved in TKD.

You are also old enough that you should be able to get around any age requirments that might exist for certain ranks in your organization.

Out of curiosity, which association are you affiliated with?

When I had my own school, I had a 57 year old student start out at white belt.

i think 15 is about the perfect age to start, you know enough about right and wrong and major influinces are probably in every direction. try to get some of your friends to join. or ask if your instructor has classes with teens your age. also ask him about tournements so that he has to consider your age group.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"

think about this too, if your instructor is able to teach young children and actually show progress with young kids.... he is probably a great instructor. so don't just look for another system give this guy a chance and accept a little humility by being the oldest. when you advance a little chances are you will be the one the rest of the class looks up to.

be polite, be patient, be alert, be brave, do your best, respect yourself and others.

"you may knock me down 100 times but i am resilliant and will NEVER GIVE UP"