• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

am i to old to start out in TKD

You know, the fact that you are asking is a bright point in your training.

-There are times when I was 15 that I thought I was awkward because there was only 3 other teenagers who were in my class, I am 23 now and I am much more comfortable.

How old are the other people in your class, are you a big kid (size wize) or are you a small kid.

It is awkward, dont worry about it. There is nothing to be embarrased about or anything. You are 15 and depending on what you consider advanced or novice, you might be able to switch classes.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
i am 15 and i just started TKD am i to old? in my class i am the oldest one there and i feel kinda akward.[/color]

15? And you're worried about being too old?

Let me introduce you to a lady named Marjorie Templeton. Years ago, she gave TKD lessons as a Christmas present to her grandkids when she was 60. When she took them to the first lesson, they got her out on the floor doing it with them. She stayed with it and three years ago was inducted as a Master Instructor at age 83 (IIRC). And she's still rockin' on. I see her at the major tournaments and she is just a hoot to be around.

I hope 15 isn't too old, because I'm 40 and I just started.

Derecho-

Where in Colorado? What school/style? (I'm from Co originally)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

:lol:

Ha! Do ya wanna make us laugh or what??? 15 is younger than a spring chicken... I think many of us could only dream of being 15 again...

Currently, I am at least 20 years older than the next student in my class, (yet, I'm not even 30 years old!) 'cus I'm stuck in an area which has kids only classes. But I've managed to fool the kids. They always ask how old I am, so I tell them to guess. When one of them says '18', I feign a surprise attack and tell them they made a correct guess. They're totally convinced I'm at least 10 years younger than my actual age, so that's fine with me.

The fact that I'm more than half a meter taller than them can be a bit noticeable, but I just try to focus on my own thing and not get involved in their games of 'who can sufficate who by rolling another kid up in a padded mat' and 'belt whipping' and 'throwing potato chips at each other.'

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i am 15 and i just started TKD am i to old? in my class i am the oldest one there and i feel kinda akward.

Im 16 and started TKD at 15, your never too old and there must be an adult class that you can switch too then you would probably the youngest one there.

Edited by AceKing

i am 15 and i just started TKD am i to old? in my class i am the oldest one there and i feel kinda akward.[/color]

15? And you're worried about being too old?

Let me introduce you to a lady named Marjorie Templeton. Years ago, she gave TKD lessons as a Christmas present to her grandkids when she was 60. When she took them to the first lesson, they got her out on the floor doing it with them. She stayed with it and three years ago was inducted as a Master Instructor at age 83 (IIRC). And she's still rockin' on. I see her at the major tournaments and she is just a hoot to be around.

:D

She's definitely a hoot to be around!

When I started in TKD, back in the early 80's... She was a first degree decided black belt, sharp as a tack, and just absolutely a stellar example for all of us rugrats to look up to. :D

She teaches my instructors now, and I saw her not too long ago. She is absolutely AMAZING.

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.