am i to old to start out in TKD

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[it seems like this is an important issue for those who run TKD schools--maybe teens who are beginners might need their own classes--or at least some special consideration. They are sensitive to things like age and rank. And it's so important for people that age to build self-confidence and fitness.]

I think it's awesome that you are starting TKD at 15. You know, now that you're older, you probably have some perspective on how long it takes to learn things, how to be patient.

I hope you're able to work out with people your own age--and maybe older people. It might be less frustrating than working out with little boys. And it might be easier than working out with people your own age who are far ahead of you.

My TKD instructor started at age 19. He is a 3rd Dan BB now. And I started just before I turned 42! (My promotion test is this weekend--with luck I'll soon be an orange belt.)

Good luck to you! I remember how it was to be that in-between age. You can decide for yourself which group you feel more comfortable with: children or adults.

at 15 your really at the ideal age to start... your increased maturity allows you to understand what your learning in a way that younger students cannot.

(My promotion test is this weekend--with luck I'll soon be an orange belt.)

Good luck TKDmom! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

thank you everyone that wrote back! after reading them it made me rething everything that i was thinking before!

Good. I have a teenage girl student (I am assuming from your handle you are a girl) who is your age and just made black belt... and one a couple of years younger (13) who also made black belt...

I didn't start until I was 13. My wife didn't start until she was 25 or 26.

I truly believe that more teenage (and younger,... and older) girls should train. Girls and women are more likely to need the self-defense skills that the martial arts teach.

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Yeah. The problem is not that you are too old to train. The problem is that generally there are "kids classes" and "adult classes" and you're caught right in between; either you'll be the oldest in the kid's class, or the youngest in the adult classes. Personally, i'd advise you see if you can step on up to the adult classes and see if the atmosphere there is more comfortable for you.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I'm 33, and just started tkd in Jan. I've just gotten my yellow belt, and I have a permanently injured knee. So, there will be things I can't do, but nothing says that I can't be the best I can be with what I am able to do.

We have a mom and her three teenage daughters that just started with us last week. It's nice to have more adults to work with. The class I'm in is a family/adult class, meaning the only ones under about 15 are the children of adults in the class.

what goes around, comes around

• 4 weeks later...

I started martial arts in general when I was about 22-23. I have students in some of my classes that are 4, and I had one that I took classes with at my old school that started when he was 77, got his black belt just after his 80th birthday.

Our youngest students (Tiny Tigers) from from 4-7 years old (Although it's more of an activity class with a martial arts theme), and I think the oldest student currently at our school is early 50's (Brown belt IIRC).

I don't think there is a wrong 'age' to start, although there are definitely wrong mentalities. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player