• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

taekwondo hyped up for TV

I quoted you above saying that if someone doesn't kick very much it's not TKD. The last I knew Tae Kwon Do means the way of the Hand and Foot.

Not everyone will take the easy road to score points. One may set you up by using their hands and then finish you with the foot unexpectedly. This gives a lot more dimension to the sparring game.

The important thing here is the disclaimer "as far as I am concerned" it is just my feeling. People rag on taekwondo because they say sport taekwondo is ineffective. The techniques used in competition now are not the traditional way of throwing a technique. The kicks have evolved in a way to be faster, to "score the point" We all know that a proper roundhouse is chamber, turn over the hip, kick, rechamber, and down, but it is rare to see that in competition. Im not talking "in school" rinky-dink tournaments. Im talking national and international level. the roundhouse you see doesnt turn the hip over, and at the point of contact..the leg is straight, the knee is not brought past the target. Its just designed to be quick, slap the target to score a point, and back doen as quick as possible to defend of follow with another kick.

It seems Taekwondo is marketed as a kicking art. When people describe TKD to people who don't know, they usually mention "its mostly kicking", or list a percentage like 70% kicking. I have seen it on this board. Even the name of this "Korean Arts Forum mentions "These High Kicking Fighting Arts.

Again i didnt say that if you punch that you are not doing TKD, but just stated my opinion of how the "sport" aspect of Taekwondo might change if the rule changes I mentioned took effect.

And true, maybe some with set up with hands and finish with a kick, but that sounds alot like kickboxing to me. I agree, it will open a whole new world to TKD sparring. Just I feel after a little time, the techniques will evolve again in a way that will score points easier and move on. After a few guys get pounded in the mouth while their leg is caught on a guys shoulder, it wont take long for people to adjust their style.

Just my humble opinions...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt