TKD Round Kicks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train in the ATA, and I have trained previously in WTF.

We do both in our school, the "traditional" and the "quick" method.

For forms and technique in classes, we do a traditional round kick, where it looks similar to a front kick until you rotate your hips over, and the kick comes out designed to impact with the ball of the foot.

For sparring/tournaments, we teach a lesser hip rotation, and to hit with the instep for the reach advantage, so it comes up at about the 45 degree angle with more "whip" to it.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I study a style of TKD I have yet to notice on the board called Chung Do Kwan. I'm pretty sure it is a break off of WTF but don't quote me on that. The technique taught in our class you start in a back stance then shifting weight to the front foot bring your back foot up off the floor while pivoting your front foot 90 degrees. Leaving out most the small detail mechanics... this will bring you to a position in which the back foot is level or possibly just above the level of your knee (on the same leg) as if you were kneeing someone in the gut from their side. The knee should be bent at about 90 degrees. the lower part of the leg then extends or whips, however you want to look at it, out striking w/ the ball of the foot. There are plusses and minuses to both techniques. The minus to this one is that it is slower than the one usually taught in ATA. However it is usually more powerful. This is attributed to the mechanics/physics involved. if you hit w/ the top of your foot/shin, the impact is spread over sever inches dissipating the force more. If it is concentrated into an area the size of a silver dollar like the ball of the foot the force pounds per square inch is much higher resullting in more damage. On the other hand if you are in an ATA tournament w/ full contact and use of pads the other slapping strike will make a much louder sound on impact and you score w/ a mediocre strike. [/b]

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

of the foot. There are plusses and minuses to both techniques. The minus to this one is that it is slower than the one usually taught in ATA. However it is usually more powerful. This is attributed to the mechanics/physics involved. if you hit w/ the top of your foot/shin, the impact is spread over sever inches dissipating the force more. If it is concentrated into an area the size of a silver dollar like the ball of the foot the force pounds per square inch is much higher resullting in more damage. On the other hand if you are in an ATA tournament w/ full contact and use of pads the other slapping strike will make a much louder sound on impact and you score w/ a mediocre strike. [/b]

We teach both styles. In forms/breaking, we use the ball of the foot and the traditional full hip rotation kick. For sparring, we teach the quicker style with the foot extended, hitting with the top/instep of the foot.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Yep we do both here, didnt really read all teh posts, but got the gist.

We actually have 3 variations, sort of...

(1)Turning Kick using ball of foot

(2)Turning Kick using instep

(3)45 kick using instep - like a turning kick but the hipsdont go over (used for sparring, goes up at 45 degrees hnce the name).

Use (1) for line work and breaking and forms

(2) + (3) for sparring

(1) + (2) + (3) for padwor