• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD Round Kicks

We learn both "traditional" style and "olympic" style roundhouse kicks.. Traditional is ball of the foot and olympic is instep.. I am very new to TKD as I am only in my 2nd year.. When I started we where a ITF school and the only roundhouse we learned was ball of the foot style.

The club that I go to is not strictly ITF, but we do the ITF forms, and in Hwa-Rang we do roundhouse kicks with both the ball of the foot and the instep.

In class, most of the time we do roundhouse kicks with the instep, and about the only time we get to practice kicks with the ball of the foot is when we do our forms...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I downloaded the video and it is very good.. If you have a broadband connection it is worth it to download it.. I will rehost it if anyone wants to see this...

thank you superfoot!!!! :D

I will live my life at level 10... Every Day, Every Time, Without fail, No Exceptions!!!

No need to thank me cjburns77. I'm glad you enjoyed the video, even if it took a while to make its way to you. Any feedback on the video from those who have seen it would be great e.g what parts you like the most, and what you never knew before.

I will try to repost the vid for those who wish to see it. Remember to get the needed software beforehand using the link http://ld-anime.faireal.net/guide/ogm-en#what

Hopefully the future uploads wont time out.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

It's a great striking tool against the right target and for those of us not able to do one with the ball of the foot. Because realistically you could do a ball of the foot round kick in a tournament is easily as one with the instep so thats not really a very good way of explaining the difference.

against a smaller target like the side of someones legs i suppose the instep has an advantage in that it covers a greater area... not as much pressure (force/area) will be delivered though. Not sure what you mean with the tournament thing? the reason we dont use the ball of the foot in a tournament is because its dangerous and can do alot of damage....

i would love too see the vido if you cold rehost it.Also i take tsd and were taught never too kick with instep. were taugh the ball of the foot and heel and edges never the top too easy get your foot broke and lees power.Also we have had some tkd guys come in and woork out.It seemd too me the way thay trough thear round kicks were all off the back leg and had a very looping mostion withlittle power.But i have see clips on line were thay trough off the front leg very fast and hiiden like in tsd I dont understand the diffrent styels of tkd so maybe thear just diffrent styels.What i an getting at is I think in more tridshonl schhols youll see more ball of the foot tecniqes and more hideing what your doing. And in more modern tkd youll find more instep and speed for tourne condishons.But i am no expert thats just what i think

well yea your right arguably...

traditional=front leg emphasised, ball of foot, bring knee back and swing.

modern=back leg used more often than traditional, instep (because of tournament sparring focus), much more 'snappy'

i will rehost it soon.. anyone who wants to download it let me know so i can send you the link when i do it...

I will live my life at level 10... Every Day, Every Time, Without fail, No Exceptions!!!