• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I'm starting TKD in a few days

remember, there are no superior styles, only superior practitioners.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I remember how nervous I was at my first class! Now I help out the newcomers in the adult class and almost all of them have that nervous "Am I making a fool out of myself?" face.

Don't worry though. Everyone understands that you're new- they used to be in your shoes. Don't be afraid to ask questions or be worried when you don't do perfect on your first day. If you did everything perfectly they'd have to give you your black belt right away, ah?

You don't sound like someone who'd actually do this but I figure I'll mention a few people who come in and say they are very skilled. They usually can't get through the warmup exercizes, and when we practice self-defense techniques they say, "Well I can do it if you stop messing me up!" or "This is stupid anyway".

One lady bragged about how high she could kick and said there was no reason for her to stretch before class. She decided to show off during class and kicked her leg up as high as she could and suddenly winced in pain because she had pulled a muscle in her thigh or something.

Basically, don't worry, don't brag, and stretch well before class!

Like I tell all the new students, everyone feels goofy for the first few classes, EVERYONE! So, besides the good advice already given, go with the flow.

Good Luck!

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"

i read the forum a bit more... TKD sucks? because i dont want to suck. :(

It depends on your perspective. For individuals who are training for full contact competition, yes most sport TKD is completely worthless. For those individuals who are training for self defense/learn how to fight - TKD may not offer the best training out there.

But it depends on what you want to do. TKD is a good art for someone who is just starting out in martial arts and doesn't really know what they are looking for. It is a great sport, will keep you in shape and flexible.

So to say TKD sucks is not correct - to say it does not serve specific needs is true (so in that aspect OK yea you can say it sucks but its like saying a hammer sucks for fastening phillips head screws into a bookcase).

Just do it, DON'T SIGN ANY CONTRACTS (because you may end up not liking it), and figure out from this beginning what exactly you want to do with martial arts.