• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

So I'm starting TKD in a few days

I'm 27 and never tried something like this before. I tried what you guys said and looked around a bit and finally picked a TKD place that seems neat and that someone recommended. Like I said, I'm like a total n00b. I played sports my whole life(soccer, basketball, baseball) and I'm kind of on the small end(5'7", 140). Anyways thats my story. Is there anything I should keep in mind to do so I don't make a fool of myself or any tips?

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Well, common sense tells us to respect the instructor's wishes and the rules of the class (but that's for all sports). But stretching now will help if you're not already quite flexible!

G'luck with your new art!

i can stretch today. that makes sense.

Is there anything I should keep in mind to do so I don't make a fool of myself

A good school will not do anything to make you look like a fool. Just practice one thing....RESPECT and you'll do just fine.

What works works

i read the forum a bit more... TKD sucks? because i dont want to suck. :(

TKD does not suck. You will always find those that think their art is better than anyone elses and they are entitled to their opinion. Each style of martial arts has it's own value to its practitioners and yes, each style has it's weaknesses. Keep an open mind...you will go much farther in the martial arts with one.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Good luck domac as you start Martial Arts!

No, TKD does not suck. Every style has it's good points and it's weaknesses. However, TKD is very popular around the world so it is therefore more well-known than other MAs and therefore it attracts more criticism.

I agree with what fate/hollow.ataraxia wrote - stretching is very important in Martial Arts, especially for an art that involves kicking (as TKD does). Try and do a little stretching every day and make sure that you set aside a little time every day or most days to practice what you learned in the class before. You'll progress much faster and it will 'sink in' a lot quicker if you try and train at home, even if it is only 10-15 mins a day.

:karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Domac,

You will have a great time, I take Taekwondo here in Oklahoma and its great, any tips... ummmm.... stretch your legs more than anything because there is more kicking in taekwondo than most martial arts,oh and learn to count to ten in korean Im sure they will teach you that though....

have fun!!!! Andrew :P

"Who Dares, Wins"

Hey Domac,

You will have a great time, I take Taekwondo here in Oklahoma and its great, any tips... ummmm.... stretch your legs more than anything because there is more kicking in taekwondo than most martial arts,oh and learn to count to ten in korean Im sure they will teach you that though....

have fun!!!! Andrew :P

"Who Dares, Wins"

There are good Tae Kwon Do schools, and there are bad Tae Kwon Do schools, just as there are with any other style of martial arts.

The others have already given good advice, so I'll simply tack on a suggestion to by all means enjoy it, but to also recognize that your body has limitations at this stage, with respect of the ability to train. Work on carefully overcoming those limitations under your teacher's guidance, and you'll find yourself able to do things you didn't know you could do.

If you can't kick above the waist at this time, that's fine. Work on getting the correct mechanics of the kick first. Flexibility, speed, and power, will all come naturally at a later time, when you are more experienced and better conditioned. It's much better to execute a mechanically sound kick to the knees, than it is to throw an undisciplined kick wildly to someone's head.