• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Massive weight difference.

Smitty

Does anyone have tips on sparring people that are alot heavier than you?

Most of the guys at my dojo are, well....... large. They're alot bigger than I am. I'm not exactly mammoth (16, 5'7", 145 lbs) and I often find Kumite turning into me-getting-plowed-over. I'm aware of some things, like circular movements and so forth, but those don't often work, since they're just as experienced as I am, and they know how to counter just about every evasive thing I do.

Anyone got any insight?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you need to use your speed. That is the biggest thing you need to figure out. I have been fighting short all my life. I have been small all my life. You have to figure out how to use your speed. Pure and simple. You might want to get onto a strength and conditioning regmine as well.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Hey there smitty. You certainly look familiar, eh?

The best thing you can do to get "bang for your buck" is to not move straight back when you fight, as a general rule in kumite. There are a lot of things you can work on, but this will help to prevent you from stumbling back as they continue a massive drive forward. Instead, step to the side, or better yet, forward and to the side.

When you block, it's better to move out of the way so even if your block fails, you're not there to get hit anyway.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I suffer from this a lot 'cause the guys in my dojo are generally much bigger than me. I therefore needed to come up with ways of fighting. I've noted that bigger generally (but not always) don't move so much, they depend on their strength and for the most part are straight line fighters. As a female and a smaller person I've developed my strategy to be more on my toes, with circular movements and more speed both on the way in and the way out. I've also started a weights programme to increase this speed...

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

Make them chase you. They will tire, drop their hands, then WHAMMO! - You get the point!

The Sempai in our dojo is a Yon-Dan. She is about 5' tall and 95 pounds. But rather than her size being a disadvantage, she uses her quickness to confuse her opponents. I often hear of her being described as a bee - always buzzing around without getting swatted.

Move more often, when you attack get in and out quick. Step when you punch and step around the person you're fighting. In my dojo we try to step off to the right, get to the side of the person and sweep or throw them...this is all done after a bunch of punches and kicks to set it up.

MOVE!

I agree with Isshin up there. Run away. Make them chase you down, then surprise them with a side kick.

Then once they figure out that you only have one trick that works against them and they stop chasing you, it's a stalemate - unless your sensei orders you to engage when you try to stay defensive.

Also, try getting lower. Lower your stance, tighten up, make yourself and even smaller target, and wait. If you increase the height differential suddenly the taller fighter is having to punch/strike *down* at you, negating some of their reach advantage, and you've gathered yourself for some good, powerful kicks in return that come up *under* their usual ready-for-anything position.

Wado Ryu Karate Do - Nashville TN - USEWKF

Musabetsu Kakuto Ryu - Nerima, Tokyo, Japan - Tendo Dojo

"To Challenge Owner in Savage Combat, Use Rear Door"

When you block, it's better to move out of the way so even if your block fails, you're not there to get hit anyway.

very good point, shorin ryuu. You absolutely have to move around, keep them on the move. Plus, if you move when you block, you may catch them attacking a bit too slow and catch an opening.

I'm rather surprised by this... I'm not that tall (5'10"), but I routinely train with people shorter than me (as short as 5'2")... I hate fighting shorter people! :lol: It makes things tougher for me... less target to hit, my punches, blocks, etc. have to be lower.

I'd think, that if you keep moving and are quick, short people are really tough opponents. :)

edit: oops! realized the post was about weight; not height :idea: oh well... maybe some of the same ideas apply :lol: my bad :P

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Hi,

Like to add my 2 cents. I am a very large man. I take karate for the exercise. I'm the on the other side of the coin. The little people are fast, and I have to step off the line to get out of their way. Big people in some cases are slower and depends on their power.

thank you all

goju-dave

1st Kyu Brown Belt