• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Starching the gi

Vinson

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you absolutely want to use starch for your do-gi, use the normal ironing starch.

I don't see any need for it, though - heavyweight do-gi are stiff enough to hold the presses and stay goodlooking even with regular ironing without starch.

Jussi Häkkinen

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Seibukan Karate-Do (Kyan Chotoku lineage)

Turku

Finland

Yes, it - at least here in Finland - can be bought at the supermarket. It usually comes in spraypump bottles and you spray it to the fabric and iron over it. I use it when ironing my shirts.

Ask the shop clerk for help. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

I use starch on my lightweight gi (the one that I keep for when we're having a very rare hot day in the UK) - it comes in a spray can and I just spray it on lightly before ironing.

I don't bother to starch my heavier weight gi. Like Jussi said, they keep their shape and and look well enough with just a little ironing.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks y'all. Say, Jussi, you've owned a lot of different brands of gis, right? How do you compare Kamikaze to Shureido, Tokaido or Hirota? I've been wearing locally (Hong Kong) made Hokkaido gis for many years and I'm considering buying something different. And it seems that Kamikaze gis are quite reasonably priced.

Hong Kong Kendokai

3rd Dan

How do you compare Kamikaze to Shureido, Tokaido or Hirota?

Kamikaze do-gi are very good do-gi that are reasonably priced. With the Japanese brands you get the bluish fabric and "Japan bonus" - and maybe a very slightly better durability - but Kamikaze's price most often gives a better deal. Especially the "America" -model, which is the lowest priced "Hiroshi Shirai" -model of Kamikaze, has an incredible price-to-quality -level. It can be recommended wholeheartedly anyday to a karateka of any level.

I've been wearing locally (Hong Kong) made Hokkaido gis for many years

This brand is new to me. Is it sold only locally and how would you describe the models (cut, fabric, craftmanship)?

and I'm considering buying something different. And it seems that Kamikaze gis are quite reasonably priced.

You can most probably get two (or almost two) Kamikaze America for the price of one Japanese high-quality do-gi. The raw analysis of quality difference doesn't justify the higher price of other - it really doesn't differ all that much. Kamikaze Europa is also a great deal for people who wish to have a great medium weight do-gi.

So, if you don't need that "Japan bonus" that comes by wearing those Japanese brands, there really isn't a reason to pay the higher price. It is only a feeling - not physical - bonus you're getting with a Japanese do-gi. Don't get me wrong - I do wear (and probably will be wearing in the future) a Japanese do-gi, but it's more of an emotional choice - the quality is top notch, but I could get the same quality cheaper by buying a Kamikaze uniform.

Getting a Shureido (or other Japanese brand) is pretty much really about getting an uniform of a same brand that the masters are wearing (Shureido: Okinawan masters. Tokaido: JKA Shotokan. Hirota: Japanese national team), which doesn't really differ from buying the same brand of basketball shoes as one's idol wears. An image thing.

I really can recommend Kamikaze to anyone who needs a high quality do-gi. Get one and enjoy it. :)

Jussi Häkkinen

Turku

Finland

Thanks a lot for the reply, Jussi. I think I'll give the Kamikaze America some serious consideration.

Hakkaido is a local brand and I think it's made in China because of the cheaper labor there. I bought the highest model a few years ago and it cost around HK$1300 ($US166). It gives a nice snap with the punches and kicks if I wash it without fabric softener, but the feel on the skin is rough and quite uncomfortable. It's shrunk a lot too.

How about the Kamikaze gis. Do they shrink much?

Hong Kong Kendokai

3rd Dan