• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to stop blinking

Yea, I can't stop blinking either, I've tried to link it to my relaxation and my breathing but it doesn't seem to work.

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One dude in finland went to bowling hall, he tied himself up into the machine that brings the balls back to start. Those balls come really fast, and they went all extremely close to the guys face, after beeing there whole day that guy never blinked again when sparring.
wow, haha, i should try something like that. but yeah, we are suppose to dodge kicks in capoiera, but once in a while, they kick fast and it will get you. but thanks for the advice, i will do something where a fried will elt me or something.

Maybe you could get a friend to repeatedly strike you in the face - close enough to try and set off your blink reflex but not so that they hit you. Try and stay calm and relaxed whilst the strikes are coming towards you - visualise yourself not blinking and being able to see clearly. If you keep practicing and trying to relax then you will be able to avoid blinking when sparring.

Good luck! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

why would you want to stop blinking when someones about to ''play'' hit you?

2 reasons:

1) On the off chance that one time you'll find yourself in a situation where it won't be "play" and you'll need to see as much as possible at all times.

2) When sparring, blinking will give the opponent (if he's quick enough) a window where you will not see what is going on (once again.. a short window, but if you're sparring a skilled artist, he will make use of it), and that will hurt your sparring ability overall.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

"uh...ok? thats what sparring is for "

What does sparring have to do with your eysight?

"you make it sound like hes fighting goku from dragon ball.Oh no! hes teleported behind me! blinking takes less then a second to close and re-open,im sure the guy wont go anywhere that fast"

A split second is more than can be spared when it comes to a live situation time. If a strike is fast and well aimed and you miss it's initiation, and then blink, you will likely find it quite close when your eyes open. In the case of an all out flinch, getting hit will be likely.

To condemn the art of another is to condemn your own as well. We all have the same origin.

''What does sparring have to do with your eysight?''

''On the off chance that one time you'll find yourself in a situation where it won't be "play" and you'll need to see as much as possible at all times. ''

''A split second is more than can be spared when it comes to a live situation time. If a strike is fast and well aimed and you miss it's initiation, and then blink, you will likely find it quite close when your eyes open. In the case of an all out flinch, getting hit will be likely.''

So...what then? scotch tape your eyes open?

If you get hit,you get hit..nobodies perfect.

blinking is a weakness and it can also show intention, i.e. some people blink before they move. If you had to use your martial arts and you blinked your opponent might pick up on it...

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

The fact that he is blocking is irrelevant...what he is trying to say is that when something comes at him, he blinks, regardless of his reaction.

Again, this seems like a relaxation problem.

it's relevant for the following reason: impact.

he's probably subconsciously more worried about getting hit than he thinks he is. Here's what I recommend in thai boxing for people with that problem - work pad holding. as you hold pads for someone, have them as close to your face as you can safely get them, and watch the strikes come in. it will get you used to the feeling of having things come at you. you don't do pad drills, but perhaps you can have people throw techniques in your direction and you just watch them come in.