• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ways to stop blinking

blinking is a weakness and it can also show intention, i.e. some people blink before they move. If you had to use your martial arts and you blinked your opponent might pick up on it...

blinking doesn't show weakness - it's just a natural tendency. even if you can resist the urge to blink when a strike comes in, you WILL blink eventually - you have to. and you may get hit in that instant. But you have just as good of a chance getting hit while you are not blinking as you do when you are, so I wouldn't put too much time into trying to train yourself not to blink.

As for intention, there are ALOT of nuances that display intention. I highly doubt blinking would be the first one someone will pick up on. Also remember that the eyes can be used for feinting. that's part of why it's advised NOT to look someone in the eyes while you are fighting them. they may look one direction, then swing from the other, etc. sticking with your example, they could blink, HOPING that you picked up on it and reacted, so that they could counter.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blinking is a common problem. just keep making note of it when it happens and why you think it happened. you'll improve. i see bad blinking and flinching problems in students who have a (dont get hit, dont get hit ) mentality, rather than a ( is it clear to bash him ) mentality. think about it.

We were doing this drill with a guest sensei and the person punches at you and tries to make you blink. He was watching and he came up and said, "You blinking every time!" I can't not blink, if that makes sense.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
blinking doesn't show weakness - it's just a natural tendency. even if you can resist the urge to blink when a strike comes in, you WILL blink eventually - you have to.

Way to go 7*. I'm surprised that this made it 2 pages before someone pointed out that blinking is natural.

Blinking should take about 1/20 of a second, and you naturally blink 14-18 times per minute. If your opponent can throw a punch in that time, you're done anyway. The fastest hands out there are 4 strikes/second. If your eyes are closed for a longer period of time, then this reverts back to being afraid of getting hit. Padholding is a great solution for that.

We're starting to get into some full-force, no-pads work. I am going to throw a forward punch full force straight at your nose. You are going to block it full force and counter with control (because at my level, I will not yet counter-counter). You will learn to not close your eyes by trusting yourself. If you do not trust your block, you will close your eyes. If you close your eyes, you will get hit.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

• 3 weeks later...
what are good ways to not blink when someone will hit you. like when i play capoiera, and a kick is coming at me, i just block or sciva and blink. its not really becasue im scared, i just cant help it. anyone know any good ways to practice not flinching or blinking so when i play capoiera or if God forbid someday i fight someone, i wont blink? maybe practing keeping my eyes open could help, because i blink a lot outside playing. anyways, thanks :weirdlook: :roll:
i have a good way, have a blinking contest with your friend and the first person to blink losses the game it will help you not blink.

A.kelly

Only read the first post so I apologise if someone has already mentioned what I'm saying.

Blinking is to protect the eye from damage so I wouldn't be to worried, it is reflex and can't really be changed. You wouldn't want to though since you blinking could be the means between you keeping your sight or losing it.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

why would you want to stop blinking when someones about to ''play'' hit you?

2 reasons:

1) On the off chance that one time you'll find yourself in a situation where it won't be "play" and you'll need to see as much as possible at all times.

2) When sparring, blinking will give the opponent (if he's quick enough) a window where you will not see what is going on (once again.. a short window, but if you're sparring a skilled artist, he will make use of it), and that will hurt your sparring ability overall.

1.) Very few people are 'that' fast, that you'd need to fight without blinking to keep from getting blindsided. VERY FEW.

2.) Even out of 'skilled artists', very few are skilled enough to avail themselves of an opening that lasts less than a 1/3rd of a second.

Blinking is an act of nature, designed to protect your eye from damage.

Look at that 'blink' as the block BEHIND your block...

You block the incoming foot... GREAT!

Now... if you're in a real fight...what about dust or debries that comes off that foot you blocked? What if THAT stuff, comes at your eye, gets IN your eye, and blinds you not for a 1/3rd of a second... but 30 seconds?

I'd rather blink... than to try to train my body to NOT do what it is SUPPPOSED TO DO... and wind up getting hurt for suppressing a natural and ncessary defense to the only set of eyes that God gave me.

"Tournaments are the least important aspect of martial arts..." Pat E. Johnson--Technical Advisor and "Chief Referee" for the Karate Kid movies.

in all honesty - and i dont really understand this atall - why would you honestly wnat ot learn not to blink? unless of course your blinking all the time.