• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where should I be looking when I spar?

Ti

In tournement-style fighting I tend to go for the eyes, as you'll be surprised at how easily you can psych someone out. Then its just a matter of maintaining that pressure on their eyes to make them error.

In sparring and research sparring I tend to watch the chest, or collarbone.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to look at the center of the upper chest where the neck meets the collar bone. You get a good overall view of your opponent. I also watch for tensing in the neck muscles as it is almost impossible not to show tension in the neck while attacking. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Their heart, or center chest. This gives you vision of the entire body. If you look at the face the feet dissapear. If you look at one hand the other hand dissapears. If you look at the eyes you can be mislead or tranfixed. Instead your eyes should rest at your opponent's center chest and you should see everything.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

i was taught not to look in the eyes, but to focus on the chest or the bottom of the neck, you have more chance of seeing any movement in your opponent (i.e. you opponent preparing to throw a punch) than if you were looking in their eyes.

You do NOT want to look at a persons eyes. Some people (my origional sensei was good at this) can psych you out that way. Also, by watching the eyes you will miss kicks because you are looking to high.

You also don't want to watch a persons feet for the same reason...you'll miss his punches.

Focus your eyes on the center of their chest. You can see everything that way and can't be psyched out by their looks.

thats what i do.

i also have to take my glasses off in sparring, i cant really tell who im sparring most times. :lol: so i guess the eye thing is not really a problem for me.

anyways kind of keeping you eyes on the chest or mid section is good because everything is attached to it. If they are going to hit you, thier middle (chest, or whatever you want to call it) is going to move.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

See everything, look at nothing.

Let your gaze focus almost on infinity, as though you were looking at one of those 3-D paintings they had in the 90's. In your peripheral vision watch for movement and trends, but in the area around the top of the chest/bottom of the neck watch for signals that something is changing/beginning. That's how I catch feints.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

this is going to sound rubbish

but

look nowhere and everywhere.....

try to look at the other guy generally but not focusing on any one thing.

take in his whole body (or as much as you can).

taht way, you will notice general movements better.

if you focus, you'd tend to end up half a beat behind.

I've heard this described as "Kan no Me" (Khan no May...for all those people about to pronounce it as Can no Mee). I agree with this line of thought (as do most of the people posting here, it seems).

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

You do NOT want to look at a persons eyes. Some people (my origional sensei was good at this) can psych you out that way. Also, by watching the eyes you will miss kicks because you are looking to high.

You also don't want to watch a persons feet for the same reason...you'll miss his punches.

Focus your eyes on the center of their chest. You can see everything that way and can't be psyched out by their looks.

My practice, as well.

Unless well practiced at it, looking at the extremes (Head or Feet) will severely limit your ability to pick up movement indicators at the other end of the extreme. Now, take into account two other factors: 1) You will do, under stress, what you have done with repetition in training; and, 2) When you are facing a serious threat, your adrenaline will impact various parts of your body in certain ways. One of those is the often rapid loss of peripheral vision, the so called "Tunnel Vision" problem.

If you are used to looking at the face/feet, then find yourself trying to defend yourself on the street, you will continue to look in those same areas, even though your body will not be able to see the same peripheral field that it is able to in training.

Unfocus your gaze on the itten, and most movement precursors should be detectable within a narrow field of peripheral vision.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

I usually tend to look at the upper chest or neck. Not stare at that area but allow my gaze to settle where without actually just looking at that area. It's almost like looking without looking - your eyes are on a specific area of the body but you can see the whole clearly so that you you don't miss what's coming.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!