• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tips for school growth?

My instructor is moving sometime in the summer. When she does, our training program will be left to me. Although, I fear that by the time she leaves, we'll only have the hardcore people left anyway, and considering we are a really tiny school, that means we will only have about six students left.

What are good ways to bring in more students, without resorting to a high elementary school aged enrollment? What are good ways to bring in adults and older teens?

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am currently going through this myself. I have moved to a new location and I don't have the ability to bring any members with me. My new dojo is in a gym where people can only train with me if they are members of the dojo...

I have gone down the 'something for everyone' improve concentration etc on my advertisments...It's not easy to bring the bodies in so I've decided to hold an open night!

I'll let you know if it works

--

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.

check into organizations like NAPMA and MAIA. They have alot of great ideas.

Free women's self defense, give them 10 lessons or so and cover the basics and some scenario type work...that should at leas get them hooked and if not at least it may get you coverage in the local newspaper.

Offer free training to police officers...again, coverage.

Host birthday parties for kids( I know you don't want a kid based school, but they do pay the light bills) and keep costs similar to other places that do parties.

Go to the local schools...in my town, the kids get phy-ed credits for taking karate, and mom and dad love the idea.

there are many ways...get creative. Always offer the first few classes for free so they can test drive the program and see if it fits them. I could go on for hours, but I'm wearing out my backspace key...my hands are frozen...I just got in from my morning fun time :karate:

Good luck

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Armbar,

Your situation is actually quite common. In order for a dojo to financially survive, it comes down to constantly bringing in new blood. If you don't want elementary school children in your dojo, it's going to be difficult to maintain a level of enrollment.

Just a few tips, though, on keeping up the numbers:

1) Advertise in the Yellow Pages. Often times, many folks just peruse through the yellow pages of the phone book, and make their decisions from there. I know it sound shallow, but not everyone who is seeking a martial arts school is going to know what they want, and these folks outnumber the well-informed.

2) Your current crop of hard-core students are something that can help, in terms of word of mouth advertising. Granted, this is somewhat limited, though.

3) Speak with the administration of the junior high and high schools. They might be willing to let you put on a demonstration, if you don't want to hit the elementary schools.

4) Talk with the local churches, and see if they'll allow you to put on a demonstration as well. It will help even further, if you visit the churches of your hard core students, since some familiarity can really go a long way.

In the end, operating a successful school means that you have to do more than just maintain the numbers. People will leave, and if all you do is try to maintain a certain number, the school will be dying a slow death. It's up to you to continually be expanding, and while this may mean that you have to become more of a businessman, it's something that every chief instructor has to face.

I wish you the best of luck, Armbar, and may the sun shine warmly on you.

Thank you all for your replies. We have done demos for the high school, but just a few short, 10 minute slots. We've also done a small demo for a church, which proved alright for inquiries, but we never received any new students. We are located in a smaller town with around 2500 people, so maybe that has something to do with low enrollments. Also, we don't have our own location, as we rent out and train in the local community centers gym. This means no signage. I'll have to find ways to create more growth in enrollment.

Agian, thanks for your replies.

"Achieving victory in every battle is not absolute perfection. Neutralizing an adversary’s forces without battle is perfection."

Sun-Tzu, The Art of War

• 2 weeks later...

If there are any bulletin boards available, use them. People are in the gym, they might look for a better way to keep in shape. Same goes for the HS, Junior High, Post Office... Just in case you haven't already.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• 1 month later...
check into organizations like NAPMA and MAIA. They have alot of great ideas.

NAPMA is decent but It isn't worth the money when enrollment drops. Your best bet is to try to keep your core students, without them your roof caves in. You need to build up kids classes to gain revenue.

I would say focus advertisement towards Mother's who have daughters between 6-12 years old. You have remember the rules of advertisement: Hit them in the Mind (State something that makes them think) Hit them in the Heart (Something that hits hard emotionally) and hit them in the pocket book (Make an offer they can't refuse).

Example:

Is your Child Aware of

http://www.linnylou.com/models/childrens/photos/wc-child-alexa-033.jpg

Danger!? (Black box with white letters)

Karate Teaches personal Safety (Stranger Alert or Whatever)

Try a free trial course and recieve your first month 1/2 price!!!

Contact INFO:

This ad draws attention because it gives the appearence of a missing child flyer. Hits the parent in the heart along with the photo. Then It asks the question inwhich makes the parent think about their child. It gives a fact tat Karate or MA in general could help you child stay away from danger. Then draws interest into your school even further because you offer a deal.[/img]

Dear Armbar,

I would suggest getting out into public and do some outdoors activities

If one of your students gets promoted, do a dutch pizza party somewhere

Work out in the park.

Go for walks or jogging with some core students

Always wearing your Schools t-shirts

take advantage of free advertisement such as bumber stickers

and regular stickers for the little ones

give the stickers out as rewards (kids love stickers)

I wish you the best of fortune

p.s. If you do b-days partys make sure you cover your back legally

make parents sign wavers as needed

and i have seen many dojos do very successful after school camps or summer camps,, parents love them!!

the yellow pages are a great idea, when i was younger and i moved to a new town that is where i always started

Its all about the Chiflow

Not sure id feel too happy using that advert Fox_NFLs_GG; each to his own, just guess i wouldnt want to draw attention in that way....

But then again - if your school needs the extra students....