• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any sparring advice for a small woman?

I am new to sparring (I'm a yellow belt), and it is completely counterintuitve to me! I am not a warrior, but a 5'3" mom who takes ballet and TKD.

When it's time to spar, I want to run away instead of fighting someone (especially the taller men), but I am really loving TKD--the forms, the basic moves, the self-confidence I'm building--so I don't want to quit.

Any advice for me? What can help me feel more comfortable when I face someone in a fighting stance? Or should I follow the advice someone gave me on my blog--quit TKD and take Tai Chi instead?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I am new to sparring (I'm a yellow belt), and it is completely counterintuitve to me! I am not a warrior, but a 5'3" mom who takes ballet and TKD.

Despite what your sensei may be telling you, you are not training to be "a warrior". You are training to be a martial artist...BIG difference there. The arts aren't so much about being a fighter, as they are about being a better person. Being able to defend yourself is a part of this, and a path to this.

When it's time to spar, I want to run away instead of fighting someone (especially the taller men), but I am really loving TKD--the forms, the basic moves, the self-confidence I'm building--so I don't want to quit.

TKD tends to favor taller individuals, as it's primarily a kicking art. Taller people have longer legs...that's why they're taller! :roll: Perhaps you're in the wrong martial art for what you're looking for?

Any advice for me? What can help me feel more comfortable when I face someone in a fighting stance? Or should I follow the advice someone gave me on my blog--quit TKD and take Tai Chi instead?

Tall or short, everybody has their strong, and their weak points. You need to find your strong points (speed and agility for example) and work them hard, and learn what a taller opponents weakness's are and work towards using those to your advantage.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I wouldn't worry about the moving back too much... I'm 5'9" tall 190 pound man, and I tend to move back and counter rather then attack...

I'm slowly starting to develop some attacking techniques as well though to become more balanced just now (and I've been training for about a year and a half now).

Since you move back and are comfortable with it, develop techniques that work with moving back (i.e a back step followed by a back kick to advancing and bigger opponent can often work...)

You have alot of time to develop more aggresion. Work with what you got now, what you feel comfortable with and expand it as time passes...

Good, then you won't develop bad habits from pre-supposing what you should do...

As for the "warrior" attitude,... it's a pep talk. It's intended to make you more agressive and confident,... not to make you a "blood and guts" US Marine-style combatant.

Tai Chi is fine, but you need more confidence. Tai Chi won't supply this... not right away anyway. Tai Chi as a martial art takes years to develop even simple effectiveness. With TaeKwonDo, at least you'lll learn how to kick someone in the groin.

When fighting, learn ranges. Stay outside the power range of a larger opponent until they have comitted by throwing a technique. Then, rush in as they drop their legs, throw a couple to three techniques, and then get out quick... Think of youself like a bee, buzzing out of range,... then coming in quick to sting,... then getting out quick.

My wife is smaller than you, but she has learned to fight pretty well. Could she defeat several grown men??? No. But she could hold one inexperienced grown man at bay long enough to escape... (and she also danced ballet, tap and jazz for 23 years before martial arts).

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

First off this impression that tkd benefits tall people is complete hogwash. Look at the original korean GM's if you don't beleive me. The only thing being tall would get you is longer leg reach which doesn't necessarily work out the way youd think it would. For instance people tend to stand a certain distance apart. And if your too close or too far away the kicks either not gonna land or not gonna land right. So its not the benefit it would appear at first. AS advice to taekwondomom...don't EVER move straight back. That only sets you up to get nailed again. Move off at angles either away from or toward your opponent. Also remember the more time you spend hitting your opponent leave less time for them to hit you because they have to defend. The other thing is if your small use it to your advantage. You are probably quicker than alot of your larger opponents. Stand outside figure out what you want to hit...but dont look right at it, then just move in quick and do it. Hope this helps.

Long Live the Fighters!

Just keep fighting taller people. learn to move quickly and at angles. don't fight on the line. Get off the train tracks when they come at you.

Some the the best fighters I know are short people. Thye needed to learn to be smarter fighters and did not let size limit them. A lot of this should come to you as you progress. A good teacher should be able to coach you through this.

I have seen a 5'2" girl beat a 6'5" guy in point fighting consitantly. He is snot used to people getting inside and has no defense. She knows the only way to win is to move inside.

But don't quit. I remember a quote, and I think is was Bruce Lee or may be someone speaking about him, "only in the martial arts and a little man walk tall."

Part of martial arts is learning to deal with what you have and use it to your advantage.

As a small woman myself, all I have to say is do not give up yet! Sparring has to be learned just like poomse and you are not expected to be proficient at it as a yellow belt. You will discover that being small has its advantages-especially over large, tall opponents-and that flexibility (from ballet) will be an asset. Sparring is a game of strategy not necessarily braun and you will learn various strategies as you train that will enhance your success in the ring. As far as the "warrior spirit" goes, it is not required to learn. Be yourself and have fun with what you are doing now and fear will take a back-burner.

Now for a training tip:

Sparring drills learned in class will work for the beginner in the ring if they focus on this: fight straight with round, and round with straight. This means if they attack with a linear (straight) technique, i.e., front kick, back kick, side kick, jab/cross, etc., you counter with a round technique, i.e., round kick, hook punch, back fist. Pay attention to the footwork you learn in class and GET OUT OF THE WAY before you counter.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I'm 5'2" and in my peak, I was shorter and a good fighter. One of the toughest things about being small is that everyone is bigger than you, and that can be intimidating. If you're learning in a friendly, safe environment, you'll soon learn that nobody's going to hurt you, especially when you're first learning. That way you don't have to worry so much about making mistakes right now or opening yourself up too much. You can feel your space and ranges and footwork. So don't let yourself be intimidated by people with longer reach. Find a guard that works for you. Being shorter, I found that I was often times a reactionary fighter. Waiting for my opponent to move helped me get them in my range and still have time to attack. Plus being smaller usually lends itself to being faster. However, you won't always have to be purely reactionary. After a while you'll learn how to get yourself close to someone, get in your blows, and get back out. Remember, sparring doesn't mean never getting hit. It means choosing carefully what part of your body will get hit, and learning how to move and breathe effectively to take the blow safely.

Think light. Be light on your feet and quick. Don't worry about power right now. Since you take ballet, you're probably pretty flexible, which can be very much to your advantage if you like to kick (and are allowed to kick to the head). You should be able to kick guys 6' and taller with ease and success once you know what you're doing. One of my favorite moves to use was like my secret weapon. If I ever got to a situation where I was shoulder-to-shoulder with my opponent and facing the same direction, I would take the leg closest to them and throw a crescent kick to their head. They never knew it was coming because they thought they were too far inside my range for me to kick...but oh no. No no no. The look on their faces never got old :)

So give it some time, let yourself get some more confidence in your ability, and it will come. Don't be afraid to experiment right now. You have no idea what kind of fighter you'll be until you try everything and see what works for you. If things feel counterintuitive even after a lot of practice, that means it isn't working. Good luck! Oh and I hope this made sense...I'm about half asleep as I'm writing this.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Wow. This has been a great place to get advice--and encouragement.

I like the attitude that you all have--that martial arts is a way of life, not just a way to get better at hand-to-hand combat. That's the attitude of the teachers at our school, and I like it. I know that not everyone feels that way, not even every student at our school.

Hey, I invite any of you to visit my blog http://taekwondomom.blogspot.com

I started the blog when I started Tae Kwon Do, and it's a my reflections of this journey--with pictures, descriptions, questions, etc.

And here's a question--about uniforms. Where can I get a nice uniform that is not so stiff and might drape better on my 5'3" 105 pound frame? I may treat myself to a new uniform at some point!

Wow. This has been a great place to get advice--and encouragement.

I like the attitude that you all have--that martial arts is a way of life, not just a way to get better at hand-to-hand combat. That's the attitude of the teachers at our school, and I like it. I know that not everyone feels that way, not even every student at our school.

Hey, I invite any of you to visit my blog http://taekwondomom.blogspot.com

I started the blog when I started Tae Kwon Do, and it's a my reflections of this journey--with pictures, descriptions, questions, etc.

The bottom line is that the average person will only get a chance to use their martial arts a small handful of times in their life in actual self-defense. So, the study has to do more than that. In Tang Soo Do (one of TaeKwonDo's ancestors), we strive to achieve Pyung Ahn, or Peaceful Self-confidence... When you train to achieve that, you use your martial art every day... When you train just to fight, you use it a few times in a lifetime...

Already seen your blog... very nice. You're going to be able to reflect in future years what you were thinking when you first started. You'll find that eventually, your attitude will become more focused, as doubts about what you are learning (from either technical or philosophical viewpoints) begin to pass away. We all have our doubts when we first start,... and they creep up again occasionally. But I can honestly say that I don't regret a moment of the last 23+ years that I've trained. I've created a number of my greatest friendships through it (I met my wife through training, and she has recently tested for her Master's Belt.). It has also helped keep me focused in a positive direction in my life. I think that only my religious faith exceeds it, and only my membership in Freemasonry approaches it.

And here's a question--about uniforms. Where can I get a nice uniform that is not so stiff and might drape better on my 5'3" 105 pound frame? I may treat myself to a new uniform at some point!

Mail order is best. I would go with a middleweight uniform, rather than a heavyweight. You can go to a number of sites. If you're TKD school allows it, the modern pullover uniforms tend to be more comfortable and "flattering" than traditional dobaks on smaller people. Problem is that some of them are real thin...

Century Martial Arts:

http://www.centuryma.com/

Asian World of Martial Arts:

http://www.awma.com/

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!