• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all,just got a question for all you TKDers :D

My friend recently joined a tkd dojo,it looks like ever normal kind of dojo BUT the way they spar is...different.

They spar and evenhave boxing gloves on and punch to the head.Its more like a kickboxing/tkd school haha,is this good or bad?

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

good, because it's slightly more realistic in training. some places discourage head hits because of liability issues. :P

Typically TKD schools are of two trains of thought, traditional or sport. Sport TKD (what we see in the Olympics) does not allow use of the hands whereas in traditional schools (generally speaking) anything goes. Each style is completely different and has it's own strategy as well as perceived outcome.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Hey all,just got a question for all you TKDers :D

My friend recently joined a tkd dojo,it looks like ever normal kind of dojo BUT the way they spar is...different.

They spar and evenhave boxing gloves on and punch to the head.Its more like a kickboxing/tkd school haha,is this good or bad?

It's good! I wish my school did that :D Actually we do employ a lot of boxing type of punches, but not during sparring :(

Anyways, Heidi is right. It depends on the school/instructor, not just the style.

Laurie F

That's the way my association does it even in competition. I have never heard of a style of TKD where punches to the head aren't allowed. For competition though we have a law called 'mauling' incase the fight gets to scrappy.

"There are no limitations only plateux, and once you reach them you must not stay there."

--Bruce Lee

That's the way my association does it even in competition. I have never heard of a style of TKD where punches to the head aren't allowed. For competition though we have a law called 'mauling' incase the fight gets to scrappy.

Ever hear of the Olympics? Olympic style TKD allows no head punches...

I've never seen a body punch either... but they are allowed from what I understand....

• 4 weeks later...

in our style you can punch, kick, elbow, etc to just about anywhere (although we do restrict leg and knee targets to brown and black belts d/t potential serious injury). All techniques are practiced w/ adjustments in spacing so that the attacks stop just short of the target. Personnally I prefer this d/t more realism. After all, if you're attacked on the street are you going to call foul if the attacker strikes you to the head or back?

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.