• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Body type and style effectiveness.

As you may have guessed by my post count, I am new to the MA scene. I'm currently trying to decide what type of style to learn. So, my question is. What body types work best for various styles? For example: I have heard that taller people are better suited for TKD.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am about 6'1' and weigh about 285. I wasn't too impressed with my Tae Kwon DO skills...flexibility doesn't come easy for me. Kickboxing has worked well for me. I currently study/teach chinese kenpo and have almosst no problem with my size. So far, there is only one move that gives me problems, and that is a ball kick fake to high roundhouse combo...my heft makes it an ugly transition.

Most of our kicks are below the belt. The footwork is simple enough, and most everything falls into place for me. It seems like this art is merely a continuation of my natural fighting style.

welcome to the arts and good luck with whatever your choice.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

You definately need to consider body type as well as your preferences. For instance you may not want to be in close contact with another student so grappling may not be right for you. Just one example. However go watch different styles and notice the body types in the class, then look at each style and decide what body types appeared to be effective and appeals to you. Good luck, don't give up we need all the martial artists we can get.

I'd suggest to you that you try out several styles to see which is best for you.

There's people of evry body type in most of the martial arts, from short and thing right up to tall and built like a tank. Martial Arts has something to suit everyone, regardless of size.

Try out a few lessons from each of the MA clubs in your area until you find something that 'sticks' You'll probably know what is right for you as soon as you try it.

Good luck in your search! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Don't get too carried away with body type doesn't matter. It does. It just shouldn't be the deciding factor.

In general, height helps strikers a lot because of reach, but they don't need to be overly bulky. Grapplers are constantly pushing an pulling while they role, so muscle helps a lot more.

Still, as said, don't get carried away with it. Royce Gracie wasn't exactly bulky, and many good boxers aren't exactly tall. :)

"I like the idea of repeatedly sticking my knee in someone's face without threat of lawsuit." - me

Start mma training soon. (bjj, muay thai, boxing)

I'd suggest to you that you try out several styles to see which is best for you.

There's people of evry body type in most of the martial arts, from short and thing right up to tall and built like a tank. Martial Arts has something to suit everyone, regardless of size.

Try out a few lessons from each of the MA clubs in your area until you find something that 'sticks' You'll probably know what is right for you as soon as you try it.

Good luck in your search! :karate:

Couldn't have said it better myself! Don't worry about what is a good fit for your body, find something that you enjoy. Try out a few classes. If it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't right for you.

TKD WTF/ITF 2nd Dan

"A Black Belt Is A White Belt That Never Quit"