• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorei Kan Karate

goju8

The reason for the combined kans (now called Shorei-Shobu Kan) is somewhat unfortunate. Sometime shortly after Masanobu Shinjo's (Shobukan) death, the Shobukan dojo on Okinawa was closed. Since Shinjo Sensei trained with Seikichi Toguchi Sensei (Shoreikan) the combination seemed to be a logical one.

The Hookiyu kata series was devised by Toguchi, and is used in the Shoreikan, not the Shobukan. Some schools start with Sanchin and Gekisai Dai Ichi, some use the basic Taikyuko kata. These are very basic forms that take the shape of the letter "I" on the floor. The first teaches the low block, the second teaches the rising block, and the third teaches the chest block, but is done in the cat stance.

The most important form is Sanchin. Aside from the "deep stuff" that is going in in this form, the physical positioning of the body is the root of all that is Goju. It is generally considered that a student will need about 3 years of diligent practice to really be able to perform this kata in such a manner that he will "get" the benefits of the form. Female students who are taught this form shouldnt really emphasize the strong breathing and locking, as one of the highly advanced goals of the form is to teach the practicioner to withdraw the testicles into the body, obviously something that a woman cannot, by nature, do. Repeated practice of Sanchin is highly recommended, provided that the breathing is done properly, as it is a form of Chi Gung, which bears directly on the practicioner's internal health....something not to be fooled around with. Many times, I have seen poorly instructed students pump Sanchin so hard that the look like theyre gonna explode.....this is NOT how the form is supposed to be performed. Sanchin ( and Tensho as well) are forms that are called "standing Chi Gung", but by the nature of the form, they are also known as "moving zen".

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
The reason for the combined kans (now called Shorei-Shobu Kan) is somewhat unfortunate. Sometime shortly after Masanobu Shinjo's (Shobukan) death, the Shobukan dojo on Okinawa was closed. Since Shinjo Sensei trained with Seikichi Toguchi Sensei (Shoreikan) the combination seemed to be a logical one."

Sho-Rei-Shobu-Kan was actually created my John Roseberry in honor of his teacher Toguchi Seikichi and his sempai Masanobu Shinjo. And had nothing do to with the Shobu-Kan dojo in Okinawa.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

If Im wrong, I apologize, I had heard differently.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

my dojo's lineag is through yamaguchi-urban and yamamoto-merrimen then a couple other people. It seems that the yamaguchi strain and most others focus more on doing katas without doing the bunkai and also a lot of point sparring. I think that shorei kan and schools like that are by far the best, they teach it like miyagi did. Excessive sparring can be detrimental. This dojo in victoric BC seems awesome, too bad I live a few thousand miles away: http://www.members.shaw.ca/shoreikan/curriculum.htm

They have grappling in their curriculum.