• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorei Kan Karate

goju8

Hi,

I've been trainning in goju ryu for almost three years. I've read toguchis' books and have been reading several shorei kan dojo websites. I'm curious, does anybody here train in shorei kan? From what I read it seems they do a lot of two man sets and bunkai, which seems really good, because that is what karate is. The dojo I'm in doesn't do much bunkai. The shorei kan lineage also seems like a good one, Toguchi studying under Higa and Miyagai for years.

Thx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I study Go Ju Ryu under the Sho Rei Sho Bu Kan lineage. It is a "sister" association of Sho Rei Kan since the head,Shihan Rosberry, has studied under Master Toguchi for many years and was one of his top students.

Bunkai is a requirement for us at every level. It teaches you how to apply kata techniques as well as how to respond to them, as there are two sides, the attacker doing the anti-kata, and the defender doing the kata.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

I study both Shobukan and Shoreikan Goju Ryu.

~Master Jules......aka "The Sandman"

"I may be a trained killer......but Im really a nice guy"

They really are very similar....forms being the same, but I would have to say that the Shoreikan does emphasize the two man forms more , as well as more chi gung excercises (Toguchi was very big on that). The Shoreikan warm up is a little more comprehensive than that of the Shobukan, incorporating a 12-count pushup which is Yoga based. Both Kans are very thorough and complete in the quality of the instruction though. They both strongly emphasize the grappling aspects of the Shaolin Chin Na influence on the system, as well as many pressure point applications found within the applications of the kata.

No problem BL.....was that enough, or did you have anything specific in mind ?

oh thats was more than enough. im in shoreishobukan, i just wanted to know if there was a major difference. btw, what is the first kata in each kan? in ours its the hookiyu kata series.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle