• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Braces

dtstiachi

Hey all,

This is some equipment that people struggle with. What type of mouthguard would you buy? Would you continue training or would you have a fear of your teeth getting knocked out or messed up somehow? Let me know your feedback. BTW, my braces are being removed in 3 weeks :)

later

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, my custom made mouthguard is a zillion times better than the ones I've bought from the shops - better than a Shock Doctor one.

It cost me about £40 for my dentist to make my mouthguard. It's custom design with the Union Jack flag (UK flag) on it!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Yeah, custom made mouthguards are the way to go.

I had one when i was little for playing footy with braces.

I'd tried the ones you buy that you can mould yourself and stuff, but they sucked. Then i got one custom fitted and made and it was very comfortable and i could breathe very easily.

If you can afford it, its the best option IMO

Hand to hand, heart to heart

If you don't come, i will not start

But if you start, i will arive first

And hit you continuiously untill i see red.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little worried. I have the type that you have to mold yourself (provided by my dojo--it came with the sparring equipment), but I haven't used it yet out of fear of gagging... which I know I will.

How long does it take to become accustomed to the mouthguard, approximately?

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

Some people don't ever get used to them. That's why some MAists don't wear them.

Buying a flavoured mouthguard (you can get them in mint and fruit flavours now) may help you.

I'd suggest that you try it out at home first, not at the dojo. practice wearing it for a short while every day until you get used to it.

Personally, I hate them but I'd hate losing/ damaging my teeth even more. The way I see it is that I don't wear the mouthguard for very long periods at a time, so it's better to be uncomfortable for a short while that to be uncomfortable for a long while if I got a tooth damaged.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Good point! Thanks, aefibird!

Yeah, I had actually been thinking of doing that, the wearing of the guard everyday for a while. Haven't gotten around to it...

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

• 3 weeks later...

I had my orthodontist sell me one, which I have only ever used once. If I put it in, I gag like mad. However once my braces come of (2 months) I would like to get a custom one made. Although in our dojo we never wear any equiptment, rather we leave much distance. I just want it for when I'm sparring with friends, or if I ever go to a tournament.