• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many different ways do you know to disarm a knife?

• 4 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've learned quite a few. However you must realize one thing if a person is attacking you with a knife - 9 times out of 10 you will get cut. So just make sure they do not cut you and any areas of your body where there are any veins or arteries (inside of forearms, neck, inside of legs, arm pits etc.)

If the person is trained in knife fighting? Good luck, they'll most likely kill you.

I think another thing that might change the fight a bit would be the knife itself... If the attacker is weilding a Swiss army knife, I would probably react differently than if he had a long knife. In the case of a knife attack, I would thing the drunk mimicry would work best. Give him not a clue where your coming from, possible confusing him, and then striking from an akward angle so he is caught off guard.

Do not try to better someone else, instead, better your former self.

Oh by the way Mai Tai, The date you joined this site is my birthday.. I found that kind of interesting. lol

Do not try to better someone else, instead, better your former self.

If the person is trained in knife fighting? Good luck, they'll most likely kill you.

I agree, and you will at LEAST get cut.

It all comes down to how skilled the person is. If he's sloppy, you will most likely be able to see a slash or stab coming, giving you a chance to dodge a bit. I'm not saying you'll have time to think during the fight, fights are all very fast, but if you're trained, dodging should be instinct. You could then follow up using various procedures, however control is definately key. Don't try and grab the knife itself, but rather disable the arm or even the wrist to prevent another attack. Once you disable him for good and there is no threat, run your * out of there and call the police.

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

I'm telling you guys, only thing that beats a knife is a knife of your own with more luck than the other guy, or a gun. Or a baseball bat i suppose....

I would much rather a stick if i was facing someone with a knife. With the stick you can attack and they will still be out of range to cut you.

I'm with you, a stick would be amazing in a knife fight. It's so easy to land a strike and break someone's arm, and if you had to, you could definately knock him out. Especially if you know how to use a stick. :P

I'd love to see a master stick fighter vs. a master knife fighter. :D

- John Dryden

a knife in a fight is more dangerous than a gun.

get out of the line of fire of the gun and your fine, get touched slightly by a knife and your cut.

in all honesty i would run before i would try any disarming techniques, although i know numerous ways.

"Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battle field."

a knife in a fight is more dangerous than a gun.

get out of the line of fire of the gun and your fine, get touched slightly by a knife and your cut.

in all honesty i would run before i would try any disarming techniques, although i know numerous ways.

I think most would. But as a last line of defense most would try and disarm someone rather than letting themselves be stabbed. With the knowledge of disarmament comes with the knowledge of when to execute those techniques, and in which situations. Sometimes some people can't put 2 and 2 together, and end up getting themselves seriously injured.

I'm also really pleased to read that most people would only try to disarm someone with a weapon as a final response to the attacker rather than face them head on.

There's an appropriate situation in which to use techniques that you've learned, and common sense and practicality also play a lot into that.

- John Dryden

check out this article on knife attacks. It is really informative as to what a person should expect when confronted w/ an armed attacker.

http://www.isu.edu/stdorg/sports/tkd/knives.pdf

Hope it helps

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

I would try to get the arm and twist it behind his back. Now I am behind him. If he manages to overpower me or I lose control, I will try to drop him with a kick between the legs from behind and then a knee to the thigh and then a kick to the back of the knee and run or kick him in the head.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."