• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many different ways do you know to disarm a knife?

I'm telling you guys, only thing that beats a knife is a knife of your own with more luck than the other guy, or a gun. Or a baseball bat i suppose....

I would much rather a stick if i was facing someone with a knife. With the stick you can attack and they will still be out of range to cut you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I teach a number of knife defences maybe once a month in class specifically to demonstrate that they do not work. We do the chalk exercise with red chalk on white gi. Trying to get them clean again is a convincing reminder that the defences we use do not work. Some of our instructors have become really fast but they always get marked as soon as the attacker starts using unpredictable moves.

I don't know how true it is, but I've been told at a self defence seminar that even a relatively shallow cut, a centimetre or so, can cause the victim to go into shock.

Most cuts will bleed far more than people think they should, leading them to believe that a relatively minor wound is severe or life-threatening. Very often, this is what causes people to go into shock.

Of course, depending on where you are cut, a relatively small cut can lead, eventually, to shock as a result of the loss of blood.

One of the insturctors for my EMT class passed on a story of a woman who bled out through a 3" long cut on the scalp/upper forehead.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

When I said to kick the knife, I meant only if they are not attacking with the knife. Like if they are holding it in a threatening manner. I would think a crescent kick would knock it far away.

I was told at a seminar that the best defense against a knife is to pick up a chair. They didn't elaborate or demonstrate on how this works, but I remember thinking it was wierd.

Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu

as a general rule, in any fight, you want to have an equaliser or something that will give you an advantage.

the chair, in any situation can be used on a basic level as an extra barrier between you and the knife.

it can also be used a means to trap the knife, a weapon of sorts or even simply be thrown as a distraction to give you some time+space to exercise the best course of action; to run.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

When I said to kick the knife, I meant only if they are not attacking with the knife. Like if they are holding it in a threatening manner. I would think a crescent kick would knock it far away.

That MIGHT work, but it will most likely get your leg slashed.

We actually had an 8 session knife fighting class at our school, and I agree with most here... if the other guy has a knife and you don't, run, if at all possible.

If you can't run, find some other kind of weapon.

If that's not an option, the only thing that seemed to give any chance is to grab or neutralize the knife hand at the wrist. But that is extremely difficult to do, especially when the other person knows that's what you are going to try to do. If you're lucky, maybe his knife isn't real sharp (which makes a huge difference).

3 weeks ago i had a guy come at me with a knike.

most fights can be avoided. but this was strange. guy was talking with his girl and i was cutting across lot. this guy says come hear. i thought he was just asking for help. so i started tward him. it was dark and at about 3 feet away i heard him pop open a lock blade. he was trying to hide it i dindt see it until he slashed it. i jumped back and ran. if he would have had a sheth knife that didnt make a sound i would be dead.

my best self defense is that im an extemely fast runner. 10.8 in 100 at the age of 32

strangly enough i have a hand gun which i can legally carry on me at the time. not worth the legal trouble.

he never even asked me for money or anything. my first and hopfully last experience with a crazy. ussaly when people get involved in violence the kinda asked for it but i would have been an "innocent victim"

have done the majic marker thing at the gym. that set of cloths in no good no more.

two things to do if you must fight

1. step in and grap

2 grap after swing

3 never let it go, dont stop if your bleeding, minimize his damage to you.

4dont try to take him out with out control. few people have one shot knock out power.( sorry debate me if you must but please dont trust it, this is life and death, i might be wrong and you got knock out power ....but if im right your dead.

5 dont srtike or kick trying to pop it out ther hand.

if they turn ther wrist (on purpose or reflex you might end up missing fingers, sliced tendons or worse.

but mainly run and call local law enforcement....its what they are paid to do