• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many different ways do you know to disarm a knife?

Hey everyone,

I have heard this almost ad naseum. "Here is how you defend against a knife." ...

What do you all teach or hear and in an uncontrolled environment with someone wanting to "really hurt/kill you" what do you think about what you have been taught? (I personally am not satisfied with what I learned in Kenpo or JKD). Thanks for the comments

(Senseis, feel free to move this if you so desire) :)

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it varies widely, depending on your own strategic doctrine, and your personal strengths. Some say strike the weapon hand/wrist to cause grip failure, some say gain attachment and maintain control, some suggest almost ignoring the weapon and take them out.

For me, attach and control seems to work the best. Time your approach, gain a grip on the weapon arm (lower arm/wrist, or it's not effective!) then kick/strike them while maintaining that control.

Based on the differing approached of various styles, you will probably get the response that there are as many options as there are styles, and then some.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Anyway, I don't have any experience with it really, but I should think it wouldn't be that hard to kick/smack a knife out of a hand.

I think i read somewhere we should never try to kick an opponent with a knife.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

So much depends on how the attacker is wielding the knife, where he is in relation to you, and the surroundings. There are many defenses and escapes, including just running away.

--

Does not know how many you know. What matters is how many your good at. lol

With that said no one should try to defend a knife unless its life or death. If you have an out take it.

Few things to keep in mind when working knife defense.

1. how is the attacker holding or using the knife

2. how are you dressed

3. what does the attacker want

the way you approach those 3 questions will answer how you defend the knife. Best advise give him your money and run. lol

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have been taught numerous ways to disarm a person...none of which I would like to try in a real life situation........

Try giving a rubber knife to someone and tell that person to attack you in any way that he wants to and remember that anywhere that the blade touches you, you are cut......It is a lot harder to defend against than a lot of people think.

The best defense against a knife is to look for a weapon of your own to use against the attacker.

What works works

I have been taught numerous ways to disarm a person...none of which I would like to try in a real life situation........

Try giving a rubber knife to someone and tell that person to attack you in any way that he wants to and remember that anywhere that the blade touches you, you are cut......It is a lot harder to defend against than a lot of people think.

The best defense against a knife is to look for a weapon of your own to use against the attacker.

Exactly!

A minute of experience on the street is worth a year of training in the dojo.

If you can’t sprawl and brawl, you can’t street fight.