• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Repetition!

This morning I was teaching one of my karate students the basic goju jodan uke. After about ten repetitions he exclaimed that he was fed up with all of this repetition and when could we move on to something else!

I thought how things have changed nowadays. I can remember when I began training, I used to absolutely thrive on repetition. I knew that ultimately it was this repetition that would improve (hopefully) my overall martial arts.

This repetition of techniques has ingrained in me even today. I regularly go down to my dojo and perform a couple of hundred gyaku tzukis or mae geris.

Does anybody else put a great emphasis towards repetition or do you think that once techniques are learnt it is not necessary to train in this way?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My instructor tells us to do betwen 200-500 reps when working on a singe movement or posture in our form. Repitition is essential for properly learning any art and ingraining the art into you. It also can give you a great workout.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

repitition is the key...even blues clues tells kids that...

remember, practice doens't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect.

if we didn't need practice, we would all be legends due to that fact that we could move on to new material after just seeing it once...this isn't matrix.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

Yes and No

Being a black belt I hate showing up for class and having all white belts and we do 2 hrs of rising blocks. Althught from time to time I do enjoy that again. However, there is the been there done that attitude we get.

When I teach I try not to spend so much time on the same thing just because I understand we do get tired of it.

If I want to work rising blocks I will do several drills that focus on it. Instead of just standing in place doing it over and over.

When we do the same thing we become tired of it so change is good. However you can not just say you know a move and go on. It takes reps I just like to change up how I get my reps.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I cannot agree with you more...some classes get tiring rather quickly..."inward block, ready, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6," ....and on and on and on...

however, the lower belts need that kind of repitition...

think back to when you were a white belt...didn't you need that repitition also?

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

The repetition is what builds, and maintains, proper motor memory. Without it, the technique will never be available as a reflexive response.

Should the exercise be made more interesting, absolutely. Especially for the newer students, who have yet to fully buy into the concept of developing that motor memory. Change the environment, the combinations being used, whatever it takes to get the interest there, but hold them to proper form, at all times. This is the only way to promote proper execution, when you begin to apply this under increasing levels of force and physical/emotional stress (AKA as you come closer to real-life application).

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

This morning I was teaching one of my karate students the basic goju jodan uke. After about ten repetitions he exclaimed that he was fed up with all of this repetition and when could we move on to something else!

The guy would die in our school. LOL

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

I attempt to do repetitions without borebom by doing a different technique between the reps. I'll use the inward block as an example.

10 reps of inward block followed by a different technique, then 10 more reps of inward block followed by another technique, 10 inward blocks, etc.

Do I think that repetition is important? :-?

What works works

Even in my self training I often do 1,000 repetitions of one technique per side.

Our school is just as brutal

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing