• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

iaido, kendo or tate?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is iaido?

Iaido is the art of reacting to a surprise attack by counter attacking with a sword.

An in-depth reading of the Japanese characters for iaido is:

I = being, AI = harmony, DO = way . "The way of harmonising oneself in action”.

The Iaidoka (a practitioner of iaido) wields a sword: not to control the opponent, but to control himself. Iaido is mostly performed solo as a series of Waza. The Iaidoka executes various techniques against single or multiple imaginary opponents. Each Waza begins and ends with the sword sheathed. In addition to sword technique, practitioners require imagination and concentration in order to maintain the feeling of a real fight and to keep the Kata fresh. In order to properly perform the waza, Iaidoka also learn posture and movement, grip, and swing. Iaido is never practised in a free-sparring manner.

Iaidoka practice to prepare for a surprise attack, where an immediate, efficient solution to the problem of aggression is necessary. Therefore, the technique is highly refined. Every unnecessary movement is cut away. Technique is simple and direct. The training method is aimed towards development of the practitioner’s every mental and physical resources.

Iaido is an authentic martial art that proved its martial values in a time of constant battle and warfare, that was preserved and passed on directly from teacher to student over generations in an unbroken lineage for 450 years. Iaidoka developed the mind towards an ultimately peaceful, harmonious, and active state ready to react and deal with any life situation.

What is Kendo?

Kendo, is the art of Japanese fencing. "Ken" or tsurugi is from the character meaning sword. The character for "Do" or michi includes the meaning way or path which translates as "The way of the sword". A path in life which is followed through the training of kendo.

Kendo, the Way of the Sword is the art of Japanese Samurai Swordsmanship. It is rooted in the traditions of Budo, the Martial Way. It is both exhilarating and demanding to learn.

and the only thing I can dig up about Tate is that it is either a vertical elbow strike and is found in Karate and jujitsu. Any searches of 'Tate Fighting System' only bring up a sega game of nightshade which is very inconclusive.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous

i think kendo is more of a practical combat martial art; and tate and iaido are more about katas,

Hmmm...let's see :roll: what is more practical? Knocking people around with sticks thinking that it is anything similar to a real sword fight (not that you will likely have a sword should a confrontation occur) or a series of techniques that can be applied with or without a sword that refine both physical movement and mental discipline?

Don't get me wrong, I like kendo, it's a lot of fun and there are good things you can learn from it. But even kendo has kata (cutting exercises that are done repetitively). You'd be hard pressed to find any martial art that doesn't have some kind of solitary practice routine that trains "muscle memory" and proper technique. And every time that someone says something to the effect of practical combat training being different or not the focus of kata I can't help but to groan. It's like a fairy dieing every time someone says "I don't believe in fairies." only the fairies are very real and they aren't actually fairies, they are the potential a person has as a martial artist.:(

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

sauzin, that was one heck of a metaphor...I had to read it a couple of times to make sure it said what it did...but I'm fairly tired righ now, so there we go.

well put at any rate.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous