• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been back for a month and its depressing

snazzed

At my last grading, I was singled out for correction by the Chief Instructor of our school, in front of 100 or so other people grading on that day. He still passed me, just.

At first, I was embarrassed and nervous as a result. But then I thought - this guy really cares about the quality of karate being taught within his association, and my belt means something, it hasn't just been given to me.

I'm working towards my next grading now, and really trying to focus on getting everything right. It's taking a long time, and I've had to postpone grading for a while, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

At my dojo anything you know is fair game on a belt test. Their standard is ten mistakes of any kind allowed on a belt test, plus the subjective assessment. (You suck, you don't suck.)

So if you demo everything you are expected to know, from Kihon 1 through the highest kata required for that belt level, you are still only allowed ten mistakes total. If you make five mistakes in the first six kihons, you only have five to go on all the rest of your kata.

I have no desire to tank a test and will ensure I know and have practiced everything before I test each time. That, and I agree with the philosphy.

Even the Blue Angels still have to take off and land on every flight.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.