• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Been back for a month and its depressing

snazzed

yes. There are multiple ways of doing the same technique. I've seen instructors not want to coreect someone because another instructor in the same school told them to do the technique a little differently.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, what about plain old incorrect technique?

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I am hesitant to correct a student after they have been given three things to work on. People seem to be able to hold about three corrections in their mind at once, and if you add more, other corrections start falling out.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I am hesitant to correct a student after they have been given three things to work on. People seem to be able to hold about three corrections in their mind at once, and if you add more, other corrections start falling out.

I like this approach... even though I'm nowhere near a karate sensei, I am fairly proficient at golf and have helped some of the people on my high school golf team with their swings. Took the same approach. I saw about 20 things wrong, but hearing 20 things at once won't work... give them one or two, and when they get that, then go on to the next.

Very good point, JusticeZero :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

I do the same. I'm not a sensei .... far from it. But in my school, 2nd gup/kyu and above are required to assist in class. I do the same as vertigo said. Specially with the younger ones. I see 10 things wrong with their form (or what have you), but I show them two things that they can improve. Once they get that down, I move on to the next two. It works pretty well, even with the adults.

Laurie F

I like being corrected when I know the teaching is correct, even if it is frsutrating. But when you know it is wrong, that's when you have to watch out.

Snazzed, if you need a break maybe you can ask to focus on the artistry for one lesson, instead of perfect form technique. After all, if you earned your blue belt before, you must have been doing something right.

Overall, I think you are lucky to have a mentor who appears to have hand-selected you as a protege of sorts.

Have you addressed this dilemma with him? You owe him that, and he owes you an honest answer.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

I think I'm over the worst of my reactions now and I do appreciate the feedback and corrections. One part I particularly like is that with every correction, Sensei shows me "why". At any rate, I must be getting better, as he is backing of somewhat. No more 10 minute long mini-seminars. I just get corrected on an item or two and then he moves on.

I've also noticed a few occaisions, doing Kata (or whatever), I will complete a sequence, and glance in the mirror and self-correct something and Sensei (was watching) will turn away and correct someone else... but I swear he was about to come over before I corrected myself. I love it when that happens. It's like "Ha! I don't suck"!

Two more months and I think I'll be back in my stride.

snazzed

4yr Shotokan, 2yr Hapkido, 1mth Chito-Ryu.

The Hapkido place devolved into a McDojo during my stay.

"Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand."

That's good to hear, snazzed. But even as a higher ranked kyu grade, I still get corrected. I take it as a part of learning. Some might take offence to it, but don't let it get you down. It sounds like you are getting back in the swing of things :)

Laurie F

Snazzed, make one more post and you turn into a KF yellow belt. That should make you feel good!

I just got back from class. During my private lesson before class, Sensei conducted a review. He started me at Kihon 1 and we worked through Fukyu Shodan. I have been traveling for work and missed class for awhile, so I was very glad I brushed up with the kata video for about 45 minutes this evening before class. That way I didn't show my you-know-what when asked to demo my kata.

Granted I am only a yellow belt, but I learned some new things and relearned some other things tonight. It was great, and the nuances that make everything so effective make me smile and glad to be corrected.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.