How much training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see alot of this training everyday stuff, but isn't that incorrect?

I'm not an expert or anything, but don't your muscles and body need a day or two off on occassion to heal?

i train 3 times a week and offcourse lightly at home every day, i really want to train every day but sometimes you just dont feel like training. (think i missed 3 lessons in 1 year and 3months and they were in the beggining and i was sick at one of them)

Extraordinary abilities can only come from extraordinary effort

I'm not an expert or anything, but don't your muscles and body need a day or two off on occassion to heal?

It depends on what you're doing. Any time that you go all out, you need to take a day off. If weightlifting and you max out your bench press (i.e. lift your max weight until you're done) you need to take a day off, maybe two, for recovery. Your muscles need to rebuild themselves.

But if you're running, you can train every day. If you're working on a bag or makiwara, you can train every day. If you're practicing kata, you can train every day. Even if you're working light weights, you can train every day! And even if you're a part-timer who trains 2 - 3 times per week, you SHOULD stretch every day. At the very least, give yourself that 15 - 20 minutes for a good stretching.

So, for maximum advancement, train every day. I think a diverse regimen gains you much more. Stretching + running + kata + bag/makiwara + weights = great workout.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

It depends on what you're doing. Any time that you go all out, you need to take a day off. If weightlifting and you max out your bench press (i.e. lift your max weight until you're done) you need to take a day off, maybe two, for recovery. Your muscles need to rebuild themselves.

But if you're running, you can train every day. If you're working on a bag or makiwara, you can train every day. If you're practicing kata, you can train every day. Even if you're working light weights, you can train every day! And even if you're a part-timer who trains 2 - 3 times per week, you SHOULD stretch every day. At the very least, give yourself that 15 - 20 minutes for a good stretching.

So, for maximum advancement, train every day. I think a diverse regimen gains you much more. Stretching + running + kata + bag/makiwara + weights = great workout.

Thanks... that makes sence and clears a few things up for me... :)

Oh, and I wanted to clarify, that I don't do all of that. I wish I did, though. That would be sweet. But sometimes I have to spend time with my family. :D

I go to class 3x/week. I stretch daily, then I try to get one of those listed activities in, whether it's kata, combos, or running.

And to be even more honest, I still probably miss 2 days total in the week where I didn't do anything other than stretch.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

I like to go to class about 3-4 times a week. Home practice involves stretching, practicing forms, doing the basics very slowly to feel the technique, and some strengthening exercises. I just like to be constantly on top of my practice. My fear is that if I take more than a couple of days off, I'll get lazy and fall behind and start to forget stuff.

It also depends on a person's schedule and priorities. In my case I go two times per week 1 hour and a half each session. That's basically the most I can do and want to do since I also play hockey 2 times every week + my work takes a lot of my time. Is this enough to progress? I believe so, not a the same rate as some others, but I progress at my own rythm, which is the best for me right now.