• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How much training?

In your opinion what do you think that the minimum amount of training sessions in a week should be in order to achieve a good standard of progression? Also, how long do you think that each session should be?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the person. I like to go at least 2 or 3 but dependoing on how long you have been in it and how much time you have one really cant say. Everyone is differant.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Optimum for me is 2 hours daily.

I usually get at least an hour daily outside of the two classes a week of instruction.

Worst case senario. 3 times a week/ hour a day (outside of class)

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

With sensei in the dojo? I'd say at least 2-3 days.

Home training? Every day minimum. When you get the itch you'll start making up days.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I think for the avrage person only needs a few hours a week.But the dedicaded will train at home and every oportunity they get.For example at the dojo were I train we have classes offered 4 nights a week.And myself and a few others guys I train with travel out of state once a week to another dojo to train 1 night a week.But it is up to the person how much they want to train.I would say you need a min. a couple hours 2 days a week.depends on how good you want to be.

"Three times a week isn't enough!"

Oh and of course:"When I was your age, I trained six hours per day."... That's what my sensei keeps telling us. :roll:

But serously, the point he's trying to make (and I agree with him) is: that something like 3 sessions per week (1,5 or 2 hours each) with your sensei is the foundation… Practice at home on a daily basis will get you a lot further. :)

But as said previously - it depends on how good you wanna be.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I'd say you should train about 45 minutes per day at home, if you're not going to your dojo on those days, and train 2-3 times a week at your dojo for 2 hours each time.

When you train at your dojo, be sure to be very observant of your classmates and try to remember what you learned and what you need to improve on. Then, when you're training at home, do some stretches first, then practice the things that you need to improve on, and even some tactics that you saw your classmates use.

Excluding training at home, I'd say that a good minimum would be training with your instructor 2x 2 hour sessions in the dojo/dojang/gym per week.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

he only asked how much training is necessary to make good progression. he can do that on three days per week. Naturally, ou want to do as much as you can, but that's not really what he was asking...